1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I Got the Job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hkm1977, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Temporary, one term, but means I won't starve for another year. Can I have a star please?

Here is my original post:

Dear Theo, I am completely disheartened. I have been applying for jobs since January and I'm not even getting interviews. I left work a couple of years ago as I had just had a baby and my husband's job meant we had to relocate. I handed in my notice, foolishly believing that I would be able to get another job quickly. However, I decided to wait as a year ago I fell pregnant again and didn't want to look before I had my second child. It is really getting to me. I was a Second in Department at my last school and a really good teacher. Now I feel like rubbish. Agencies don't even bother calling me back. I know that I am expensive as I am on UPS2. As well as this I am applying for main scale jobs rather than ones with responsibility. Also, I haven't stepped in the classroom for two years (although I have been tutoring, writing and examining). What do you think I should do to give myself a chance? I called the Return to Teaching helpline and they have suggesting voluntary observations, as the Returners course has now been scrapped. The only problem is we are running out of cash and have two little babies to feed. Thanks Theo, I really appreciate your help.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Well done! It is also a way to get back some confidence and to start to rebuild your work part of the CV.
    Congratulations.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    The first thing to do is to read this thread:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    and then bump it for other people to see.
    Having a job is a good springboard for getting another job, so you are lucky. I am so glad that it has all worked out well for you. Please tickle the now-grown-into-a-toddler baby on my behalf.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Thank you - couldn't have done it without your confidence boost!