1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: I GOT THE JOB! (this is a wishful thinking post)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3767, May 29, 2011.

1. Theo (and anyone else who is interested!)
    I have been applying for jobs since I qualified in 2008. I managed to do my NQT year on a 1 year maternity contract but since then it's been bitty supply work. I despise doing it and have been trying for years to try and either secure a permanent teaching position or get a job outside of teaching. I literally have had no work for the past few months on supply and have got by on selling stuff on Ebay; reducing our mortgage and not spending a single penny on anything other than house things. When the money goes out on Tuesday, I will have £62 to my name and I have an empty tank of petrol so after filling that up, I will have about £15 - I've never been so broke in my life (no exaggeration!)
    Tomorrow (I know - bank holiday Monday in a school!) I have my 16th job interview in 3 years. I physically can't stand the thought of spending the rest of the evening mentally preparing; going to the school; looking around; being very positive and smiley; really feeling like I like the school and going away feeling like I may actually have a chance. To getting home and jumping every time my phone makes a noise; answer the phone to an apologetic sounding person saying "unfortunately...." when my heart sinks and I politely listen while they list of a string of reasons why I didn't get the job.
    So.....I'm doing something different.
    I'm posting on here a positive post where I am pretending to write my elation I'll be feeling tomorrow afternoon where I gleefully log on here with delight that I've got the job. This is how it will look:
    "Dear Theo (and anyone else!),
    After 3 years of trying to get a post; going to endless interviews (today was my 16th interview after 100's of applications) and doing bitty supply work - I am so very pleased to announce to anyone who will listen that I ...............................................GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's an amazing school; I loved the atmosphere; the staff were lovely and it's only 2.5 miles from where I live! :O)
    Can I please get my star now?!
    YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let's hope by writing this I can copy and paste tomorrow.
    I AM a good teacher
    I DESERVE to teach
    I WILL get this job
    They WILL love me
    I WILL be drunk by this time tomorrow :O)
    Fingers crossed that my new positive mental attitude works!

2. Theo (and anyone else who is interested!)
    I have been applying for jobs since I qualified in 2008. I managed to do my NQT year on a 1 year maternity contract but since then it's been bitty supply work. I despise doing it and have been trying for years to try and either secure a permanent teaching position or get a job outside of teaching. I literally have had no work for the past few months on supply and have got by on selling stuff on Ebay; reducing our mortgage and not spending a single penny on anything other than house things. When the money goes out on Tuesday, I will have £62 to my name and I have an empty tank of petrol so after filling that up, I will have about £15 - I've never been so broke in my life (no exaggeration!)
    Tomorrow (I know - bank holiday Monday in a school!) I have my 16th job interview in 3 years. I physically can't stand the thought of spending the rest of the evening mentally preparing; going to the school; looking around; being very positive and smiley; really feeling like I like the school and going away feeling like I may actually have a chance. To getting home and jumping every time my phone makes a noise; answer the phone to an apologetic sounding person saying "unfortunately...." when my heart sinks and I politely listen while they list of a string of reasons why I didn't get the job.
    So.....I'm doing something different.
    I'm posting on here a positive post where I am pretending to write my elation I'll be feeling tomorrow afternoon where I gleefully log on here with delight that I've got the job. This is how it will look:
    "Dear Theo (and anyone else!),
    After 3 years of trying to get a post; going to endless interviews (today was my 16th interview after 100's of applications) and doing bitty supply work - I am so very pleased to announce to anyone who will listen that I ...............................................GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's an amazing school; I loved the atmosphere; the staff were lovely and it's only 2.5 miles from where I live! :O)
    Can I please get my star now?!
    YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let's hope by writing this I can copy and paste tomorrow.
    I AM a good teacher
    I DESERVE to teach
    I WILL get this job
    They WILL love me
    I WILL be drunk by this time tomorrow :O)
    Fingers crossed that my new positive mental attitude works!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just be as positive tomorrow!
    Wishing you all the luck possible!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

5. Lara mfl 05

]
    What has kept me going, is times when I AM in school being with children & days like last Fri.,when I was approached again to do some long-term supply cover, which re-invigorates me & makes me realise that people who do know me, believe in me & can see my teaching ablities.

6. That's brilliant for you. Have you been going to interviews for the past 16 years then?

7. Very amusing original post psycho, also sorry you did not get the job.
    I can see how demoralising it is becoming for me too. No choc or wine for me for a long time it seems...............................

8. PS I completely feel your pain! 40+ applications for me since Christmas = 2 interviews, both for internal vacancies at my current school. The first was for Behaviour Support Officer and I knew I wasn't going to get it before the interview, it was that obvious. The second, friday just past, was for Teaching Assistant, and every indication was that I was the best candidate - until the day!
    I'm FED up to the back teeth of applications BUT cannot afford not to be working! I have nothing for September and my only consolation is that the field of candidates will have narrowed a little now that 31st May is past. (Or will be!)

9. Lara mfl 05

In response to
    Funnily enough no! In all those years I've only had 7 interviews!
    All the long-term sick supply covers & other temporary posts I've done in the past 13 years have all been through being in a school & getting myself known, including the one this time. I think I've acquired myself a reputation as a 'good sticking plaster' teacher who can keep up continuity for the children until the memeber of staff is fit enough to return.