1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I got the job... but some negetive also

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sooz817, May 30, 2012.

1. FINALLY got a Head of Department job - it was more than a year ago when I went to your seminar and have had TWELVE interviews since then.... but FINALLY this one is mine! Yay me!
    On a somewhat negetive note, my current HOD text me to ask how it went and I told her that I got the job and was part way through typing my resignation letter and would be sad to leave them all behind. Then she text me: "Random question, but is the offer subject to references?"
    I replied "Yes, but I don't see that would be a problem as I have always worked incredibly hard and gone above and beyond."
    This really has me quite annoyed, upset and concerned now, because realistically there should be NO REASON to give me a bad reference. I have ALWAYS gone above and beyond in my job, done SO much unpaid extra curricular and community work on the schools behalf... with the last BTEC specification change I re-wrote the ENTIRE course myself.... my observations have always been outstanding or good with outstanding features.... I cannot fathom a reason why there should be anything even remotely derogetory in my reference at all. So why would she ask that? She is one of my references (this is the only school I have every worked in, so I put the head and my HOD) and so this seems like a bit of a spiteful response designed to make me feel nervous and put a dampener on my good news...... I am very tempted to ask my current head about it.... not sure...
    What started as such great news now has me quite annoyed... :-/

2. FINALLY got a Head of Department job - it was more than a year ago when I went to your seminar and have had TWELVE interviews since then.... but FINALLY this one is mine! Yay me!
    On a somewhat negetive note, my current HOD text me to ask how it went and I told her that I got the job and was part way through typing my resignation letter and would be sad to leave them all behind. Then she text me: "Random question, but is the offer subject to references?"
    I replied "Yes, but I don't see that would be a problem as I have always worked incredibly hard and gone above and beyond."
    This really has me quite annoyed, upset and concerned now, because realistically there should be NO REASON to give me a bad reference. I have ALWAYS gone above and beyond in my job, done SO much unpaid extra curricular and community work on the schools behalf... with the last BTEC specification change I re-wrote the ENTIRE course myself.... my observations have always been outstanding or good with outstanding features.... I cannot fathom a reason why there should be anything even remotely derogetory in my reference at all. So why would she ask that? She is one of my references (this is the only school I have every worked in, so I put the head and my HOD) and so this seems like a bit of a spiteful response designed to make me feel nervous and put a dampener on my good news...... I am very tempted to ask my current head about it.... not sure...
    What started as such great news now has me quite annoyed... :-/

3. Ignore her! It's probably a case of sour grapes on her part! Most if not all jobs are subject to references so that wasn't just a randm but a pointless question to ask! She's either stupid or a bully, imo. One or the other or both! ;-)
    Congratulations! Console yourself with the thought that very soon, you'll be in charge and can do what you want including telling people like this where to go (in a mature and professional way ofc).
    I'm sure Theo will be around to give you a sparkly star soon! :)
    Enjoy your new job!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Yay you!!
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps your current HOD realises they will have to do more now after you have been doing so much! Try not to worry. I thought though, in most cases references were looked at before the interview nowadays.
    [​IMG]
    A champagne shower is the only kind of 'dampener' allowed! [​IMG]

5. I thought that too, marlin? References before interview? Anyone care to elaborate on that? Sooz- she obviously doesn't want to lose you! Congratulations!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

CONGRATULATIONS! 12 interviews needed some stamina to keep going so well done.It may have taken a while but has paid off now.
    [​IMG]
    (LOVE marlin's comment "A champagne shower is the only kind of 'dampener' allowed") Agree you need to concentrate on your success.
    So [​IMG]

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, Sooz!

Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now go and read this thread - bump it when you have read it.
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    Sounds to me like someone trying deliberately to upset you. How very mean.
    I would speak to her tomorrow, and ask to see a copy of the reference that she has written on your behalf. If she refuses (as she is entitled to - DPA), tell her that you will therefore be asking the other school to give you a copy, as is allowed under the DPA. (Well, sort of, but she needn't be told that!0
    If nothing else, it will put the wind up her!
    I remember you well from the seminar - we had a little chat didn't we? So glad that it has happened for you at last.
    Do e-mail Julia on advice@tes.co.uk to tell her - she is always thrilled to learn of successes!
    Best wishes

8. Congratulations.
    Maybe there's no ill will or sour grapes intended- just advising you not to formally resign until all of the paperwork has been completed. Call me cautious but I wouldn't put anything in writing until your new employers give you the go-ahead, even though there shouldn't be any concerns. (An unethical employer could always tell you that the references were not up to scratch if they changed their minds- not that I've ever heard of this!)

9. Yes Theo -- we did have a chat Afterwards and all of your advice was really very helpful so thank you so very much! The job is in a lovely Grammar School - I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. :)

Yes, I know that references are usually done first, however this job only came on the TES on Monday, I sent an application Tuesday morning and they telephoned me Tuesday night to offer the interview for Wednesday afternoon (all VERY short notice and so didn't have time for references...

I am pleased and excited, there is a lot of scope for me to really make the department my own and take it places...

I don't think it was an innocent question at all on her parts, knowing her as I do... but like I say it SHOULDN'T be a problem at all.... Don't you just hate it when people purposefully want to rain on your parade? Oh well... onwards and upwards I suppose!

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good luck. Hope it all works out.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I just KNEW that I remembered you!
    And extra congrats for that short-notice application, interview, and appointment!
    Let us know what happens about your reference . . .
    Best wishes

12. Sounds as if double congratulations are in order.... not only have you accepted a great job but you've also moved to a more supportive environment.
    Fingers crossed that your old HoD doesn't try to be difficult. Maybe you should have a word with your new colleagues and explain that your current school are keen to hang on to you by hook or by crook....

13. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

She's either being jokey (although in the mind of paranoid perople like myself this can seem anything but) , vindictive or maybe you should take it as a backhanded compliment that your HOD is actually scared to lose you!