1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I got an interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by natalia2008, May 3, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I hope that you had yourself a lovely break, I know that you deserve it!
    I just found out that I got an interview for the school that I posted a thread about a few weeks back. I followed your advice carefully and made 4 clear sections, also using everything that you taught us at the weekend seminar in April.So thankyou for that!
    I am so very happy about the interview, but in my previous interview I became an absolute ball of nerves, nothing that I have ever encountered before in my life.
    Now I have a week to prepare to give myself the best possible chance for this job, apart from what you taught us at the session (which I highly highly recommend to everybody!), is there anything else I can do in the next week? I think what I will now do is practice, practice.
    Hope you have been enjoying the sunshine [​IMG]

2. Dear Theo,
    I hope that you had yourself a lovely break, I know that you deserve it!
    I just found out that I got an interview for the school that I posted a thread about a few weeks back. I followed your advice carefully and made 4 clear sections, also using everything that you taught us at the weekend seminar in April.So thankyou for that!
    I am so very happy about the interview, but in my previous interview I became an absolute ball of nerves, nothing that I have ever encountered before in my life.
    Now I have a week to prepare to give myself the best possible chance for this job, apart from what you taught us at the session (which I highly highly recommend to everybody!), is there anything else I can do in the next week? I think what I will now do is practice, practice.
    Hope you have been enjoying the sunshine [​IMG]

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh Nats, well done! Really, really well done!
    No, nothing more to do.
    You have already impressed with your application. You know the techniques that we identified and practiced in the Seminar, and you know how to do the practice at home.
    So you are already PERFECTLY prepared to go in and wow them!
    Can´t wait for that new thread . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thankyou Theo! [​IMG]
    I have received the interview details, and it seems that I have to do 2 things. And now I am worried.
    Give a 10 minute presentation on "Why I should get the post", and there are no computer facilities so I will be using lovely old school presentation resources (unless I choose to bring a laptop).
    I am worried because taking into account everything from the seminar on selling myself, I wouldn't know how to approach this for 10 minutes without repeating all my good points from my supporting statement.
    The other part is telling a story without a book, which I think is scary but do-able!
    Any helpful gems of wisdom Theo, I am so glad to of got this far, but I am very worried on the second part.
    Thankyou Theo

5. Hi natalia, I'm so pleased for you - you got an interview! I'm sure you can tell a story without a book, just choose one you really like, and of course appropriate for the age group. As for the presentation, I think the fact that there's no powerpoint facility could be a positive - remember your USPs and really go for them would be my advice - and maybe illustrate them with some suitable items/pictures? Let us know how you got on. Good luck - and don't forget to smile...

6. Hi Gila,
    Thankyou for your kind words of wisdom! I have 2 stories that I want to do, I just need to pick which one I think I can still tell even when nerves kick in!
    I am actually very glad that there isn't a computer, sometimes they are more hassle than they are worth, and you end up showing slides saying exactly what you are saying. Pictures might be a good idea, if I can find some relevant ones.
    I am going to use everything that Theo et al taught us and really go for it. I have sort of fallen in love with this job.
    I will definitely let you know how I get on - how are you getting on? I saw one of your posts the other day with having to write a handwritten statement. Talk about making you jump through some hoops! I would find that near to impossible as I am left handed and cannot write anything a whole page of writing without it going smudgey. Good luck with it though, schools really need a lovely teacher such as yourself. I am crossing my fingers for us both x