1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I got an interview! But...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PinkHelen, Mar 29, 2012.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi Theo, I'm so happy I got an interview at the school I really want to work at! Now I'm preparing for it, and planning the lesson. The topic they've set is quite a tricky one to teach (I'm a Physics teacher, and it's something I would always teach through a practical and analysis of the results - not possible in 30 minutes!).
    Anyway, I think I know what I'll do for the lesson (and I'll make sure to read through the interview clickables you've made), but I was wanting to ask the school for clarification on what the pupils have covered already. They've told me in their letter the two topics they've studied previously (they're linked to the interview topic), but all they've said is the name of the topics and that I'll be teaching top set. I was going to email them tomorrow and ask what exam board they cover at GCSE (to make sure I link my objectives to this and use appropriate keywords e.t.c.), and just to check whether they have studied the necessary equations for the topic so that my questions for them aren't going to be just met with confusion if they don't have the starting point that I've assumed they have!
    I had 4 questions to ask them overall, but I just wondered if, in your experience, it's ok to send an email like that or if it seems rather "pushy" as they've already given me some information and they want to give everyone the same information.
    I just don't want to mess it up because I really want this job!

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Hi Helen - ask the questions, phrase them carefully but explain that you find it helpful to have as much relevant information as possible when teaching and you wondered if they could tell you X, Y and Z. I asked for clarification about levels in a group I was teaching for an interview today and I got the job. No one thought it was pushy to ask.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, Ruthie is right.
    But do do do make sure that you actually need to ask the questions, as it's best to ask as few as possible.
    For example - check the website carefully - you may have a section about curriculum which says which board they do for Physics - and whether it's separate science or not. PLUS: do be careful about doing a class which relies them on specifically knowing something, w formula or whatever.
    Think about that.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.