1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I got a job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by poor tom, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Not quite 'the' job as it's only a very short-term one (sickness cover), but better than the uncertainty of supply. A school with a good reputation, and seems very pleasant.
    I'll still be lurking here while I keep on applying for longer-term posts, but I'm really pleased to have such a nice Christmas present.[​IMG]

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, Poor Tom (no longer poor!)!

Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now read this and Bump it:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    You must be feeling SO pleased to have a job, and can now relax for Christmas! A short-term job can lead to bettert hings. If you impress, the Head could recommend you to another Head, as well as writing a super reference.
    I am on my hols and not supposed to be here, but couldn't resist this one.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh wow, (ex-)poor tom!
    Congratulations, sickness covers are quite good for re-building confidence I've found and will provide you with 'recent experience' to put on that next application and hopefully provide you with at least one reference.
    A very Happy Christmas.

4. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Well done (Poor) Tom[​IMG]. x

5. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Brilliant news, tom! What a fantastic Christmas present.
    Wishing you all the best [​IMG]

6. Thanks for all your good wishes!

I feel the need to explain 'Poor Tom': not to do with poverty as such and feeling unrich (though my bank manager would recognise this as true...).
    The nickname of Gloucester's legitimate son in King Lear...
    You'll maybe remember him disguised as a beggar, leading his blinded father to the 'cliffs of Dover' to jump off and kill himself - except it wasn't a real cliff, and he survived...

Drama teachers... weird, huh?

Thanks again, everyone: I'm really optimistic about this one - having had my confidence built up with a solid month of supply in December.
    Hope similar good news comes soon in the New Year to the rest of you all...