1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: I got a job!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Clarys, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Finally! I got a job.
    OK it's not teaching BUT it is as a TA in a HS 10 minutes walk from home. So at least I'll be saving a fortune in not using the car.
    The job was advertised last week and interviewed on Tuesday, I've been so busy since I forgot to come and share my good news.
    I admit I didn't put an ES in the application BUT I did use it as my template to write my covering letter for the post which turned out to be just over a side long, rather than the usual 2. The succinctness of my answers, combined with my obvious professionalism are what got me the job. I am so pleased, I really wasn't looking forward to making it up from none existant supply teaching and JSA.
    So thank you Theo for your help and guidance, finally after 7 months, 70+ applications, 1 teaching interview and 4 none-teaching interviews it's all good to go for another 12 months. The post is only temporary for 12 mths, but the funding is for Y7 students so the chances are there'll still be a post this time next year AND it gives me chance to still look for that elusive teaching post. As someone keeps telling me, it's easier to get a job when you're employed than when you're not :).

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations Clarys.
    Not teaching but in education & bringing in money.I've just submitted an application for an LSA today-will see where it leads.

3. Well done you.
    Your plight does sadden me though, you've done your teaching qualification [I think] and you're now having to take a job as a TA which is obviously well below your capabilities...no wonder they snapped you up.
    Do make sure that they do not put upon you and ask you to do the teacher role on TA money, though. Otherwise what's to stop all schools doing it.

I really hope you find your all elusive job and that you fall on your feet!

4. Thanks Michelle. I qualified in 2004, and due to maternity/relocation ended up with no permanent job 2 years ago. I've been up against NQTs, finding being M6 no walk in the park in applications. Don't worry I won't let them take the mickey and do teaching stuff on TA pay - think they're aware of that though, given that I've taught a while so do know the tricks. They obviously know I'm a teacher, I trained there.
    Completely agree that it is a very sad state of affairs when a qualified, enthusiastic teacher such as myself is reduced to TA work BUT I have bills to pay, will give the job 100% and hopefully it will be my stepping stone back to my own classroom.

5. I agree that it's sad that there are so many fully qualified teachers out there without jobs. I also sympathise with you for having had maternity leave. I have had 2 children since qualifying and should I have gained a permanent post initially then maternity wouldn't have been an issue. Unfortunately there is so much competition out there and because of budget requirements so many HTs are drawn to taking on an NQT for 1 year and then finding another the year after etc so although people are getting the NQT completed, there is no permanent position which follows. Of course this is not the case for all schools but I certainly know at least two who are doing this.
    I too have taken a role which I was not trained to do, but to my advantage, it is more money and teaching, just in the adult sector. Lets hope we both end up with a step into the career we both chose. I'm hoping that my post becomes permanent tbh so that I have some stability and, you never know, I might end up enjoying it even more than teaching the littlies!
    Good luck with your new job and with finding a more permanent role in teaching.

6. Oh and congratulations too! (Sorry, was too busy having a moment!!)
    Jobs are very difficult to come by at the minute so regardless that it's not teaching, you've still done brilliantly to get the job. Well done! [​IMG]

7. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Dear Clarys,
    I was so pleased when I saw your name under the post of "I got the job" - I have been feeling for you immensely, so I'm very pleased you found something. No, it's not your ideal teaching job (at the moment) but you just don't know what it could lead to, and it's better to have a foot in the door somewhere! Enjoy the role (and perhaps enjoy not being the one who has to organise, plan, mark and stress over everything!) and then see where it leads. (Also enjoy being able to pay bills without worrying anymore!)
    Good luck with it, well done on getting it sorted and enjoy it!
    Best wishes,
    Lighthouse Keeper

8. AHHH! Congrats! Feels weird this late in the year, dunnit?!
    I'm same - just been offered an LSA post in a secondary school. It was a post I interviewed for in Feb and didn't get but they just called to offer me a year contract!
    SO GLAD to see people saying what I've been thinking. Everyone's been pissing on my parade a bit ('A qualified teacher being an LSA?') but it's better than nothing and SURELY that's only going to widen my experience and help me get a teaching job for Sep 2012?
    Is it too early to start drinking? xx

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    The first thing to do is to read this thread:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    and then bump it for other people to see.
    I think TA posts are very nice. OK, you get less money, but there's a lot less stress too, and you feel that you are doing something really worthwhile. Very rewarding.
    All the best for the new term.
    ._____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate

10. Lara mfl 05

Congratulations Lilbett! Ignore comments like
    . Educating children IS educating childre and valuable in whatever capacity.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

Lara - are you sure you cannot relocate?????

12. Lara mfl 05

Unfortunately with 91 year old in-laws living next door (one of whom is wheelchair bound) and an 83year old mother with Alzheimer's in the next village in addition to a husband whose job is tied to our area, simple answer is no!