1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I give up

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MayKasahara, Jul 6, 2011.

1. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

I can't advise on the TES seminars as I've never been on one but I have been for a personal appointment with Theo. I think they have 15 or so people at the seminars so, while I'm sure
    they would be good for general advice, in your case as it sounds like
    you need personal help with your interview technique you might be better
    off going for the one-to-one appointment. If you can afford to go I would definitely and completely recommend it. Theo did a mock interview with me and gave feedback straight away on everything from my answers to my shoes! You can email Theo's assistant Julia for details of cost and dates at: advice@tes.co.uk
    I don't believe there are any books specificallly on interviews for teaching (unless Theo is going to write one!) but you could look at Great Answers to Tough Interviw Questions which is the bestselling general interview guide (I used to work ina bookshop) and read Theo's interviw clickables if you haven't already. Good luck!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

On my screen, your post just couldn't be read; I'll have a go at pasting it to see if it becomes more legible.
    Dear Theo (and anyone else who is willing to offer some advice!)

Don't know where to start really. I've been teaching for 5years now, 4years in one school working up to second in department with responsibility for key stage 4 examinations. Unfortunately the management within in the school were extremely unsupportive, leaving me coming up against a brick wall again and again. Often suffering verbal and sometimes physical abuse from students. Last year I decided enough was enough and went for SEVERAL interview's, all unsuccessful apart from the last one I had which was on the last day available to hand in resignation. The job was for a 2 1/2 terms maternity cover.

I got on really well in the school, but unfortunately there is not a position available. With having made a good reputation within the area I am now doing a short supply with a neighbouring school.

I have applied for over 25 positions now and again had about half a dozen interviews, but i'm getting absolutely no-where. Each interview I attend is the same story. The teaching part, the informal part fine. The formal interview - horrendous. I go to absolute pot. I either gabble on and about nothing in particular, or i'm too brief. I think ever interview i've EVER been to all feedback the same. I don't sell myself......

I don't really know what to do now, the more rejections i'm getting, obviously the more deflated i'm getting, and I really don't think I can take anymore. Until I sort out my interview problems, I don't see the point in applying for any more. I know all the jobs I can do hands down, I just can't portray that in an interview. I get so nervous now, i'm all over the place when i'm there...

I note Theo that you do interview practice, how do I find out more information on that with regards to cost etc. Are there any books out there that might help me with the interview?

I've seen a TES seminar advertised soon as well, has anyone attended these before, and in your experience are they worth the money?

Really sorry to have rambled on, i'm just at my wits end now. Have even started looking at jobs outside of the teaching profession, as I just can't take another interview and rejection again. Especially for jobs I know that I am more than qualified for?

I can well understand that you are rambling on, as you call it, as you are probably feeling pretty much in despair.
    There is advice on how to sell yourself in the Interview clickables inside the WElcome thread; this advice (free!) has helped loads of people to get jobs. Also look at this thread which has got some super tips from MiddleMarch:
    Dear Theo and all- Get to the interview, but nerves always get the better of me. What to do?
    As for getting support from us at the TES Advice team, it certainly gets good ratings from those who come! There are lots of options, from Job Application and interview seminbars, with about 15 people, group interview-training seminars with about 8 only, or individual training with me (but no real gaps in my schedule until early October, I'm afraid, although I might squeeze one in mid August) or the same intervirew indivual training with other very experienced members of the team.
    I know that there's a group interview seminar coming up very soon - this weekend or next.
    I suggest that you e-mail Julia at advice@tsleducation.com, tell her I told you to, and she'll ring and chat with you about what would be best for you, bearing in mind the cost and the different options and the timing that suits you best.
    But do look at the free advice first!
    Best wishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo May! Didn't see your post before I started mine, as it took ages to get the original post in a legible form. Then when I posted I had to dash off to lunch! So only just noticed it. Didn't even stop to proofread and get rid of all those typos I produced. Sorry folks!
    The individual sessions do give mock interviews, then comments, then let's try again, then more comments.
    They may also, if you wish, include comments on your personal presentation, including your shoes (sorry, May! Those shoes were sweet, but . . .), your choice of suit/shirt/tie or whatever. I think it's good to go into the interview knowing that you look totally professional.
    Julia is very very good at sorting out what is best for people, so do contact her on either of the e-mails given.
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. You say you either rabble on or are too brief. Have a read about the 'rule of 3'. Throughout history, religion, literature, politics etc things often come in 3s. 'I came, I saw, I conquered', 'Father, Son and Holy Ghost', 'Three Little Pigs', 'Education, Education, Education'. It's amazing when you think about it really but psychologically it works. The brain likes to hear things in threes. If Tony Blair had said either; 'I have 2 priorities for government, education and education' or 'I have 4 priorities for government, education, education, education and education' he would have sounded like a lunatic.

Try this in interviews. Give 3 points or examples or give your answers a 'beginning, middle and an end'.