1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- I feel so hopeless

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by amylovesenglish, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I'm an RQT (two years qualified, secondary) and haven't yet been offered a perm post. During my NQT year I was told I'd be kept on-many times-only to have the rug pulled from under me in late July. In desperation, I applied for maternity at another school, and got it.
    I've been there 7 months and have been told how valued I am and feel very comfortable. As I know I can't stay, I've applied for several jobs since new year and only been shortlisted once, this post went to an internal candidate.
    I'm so disappointed and every step of the way, things have been a struggle for me, why won't anybody give me a chance?
    I'm well qualified, have an MA and lots of energy but I feel like people avoid me because I wasn't made perm in my first job and it looks fishy....do you think this is the case?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No.
    More and more schools are just giving one-year contracts because of financial uncertainty. So your situation is not uncommon and certainly not cause to reject you.
    The brutal fact is that there are too many teachers chasing too few jobs. Large numbers of NQTs from the last 2 years at least who haven't yet managed to start induction (you are one of the lucky ones!). Teachers being made redundant. Women wishing to return because partner is/may be redundant in his post. And between one quarter and one third fewer jobs being advertised so far this year compared to last.
    You need to ensure that you are putting in the best possible application. Read and follow my advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread - they have worked for many many posters.
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    And if all else fails:
    I met Theo.....
    But do read the Welcome thread advice carefully.
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!