1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo; I don't come across very well on paper.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sheepareevil, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hi Theo
    I'm a Seconadry History/humanities NQT and have been looking for a job for about 1 1/2 years. I have done long term supply at schools and a maternity cover but I do not seem to be able to get interviews for more permanant jobs. I have had a lot of positive feedback from different schools that I have worked in; with teachers complimenting me on my teaching style, my innovative lessons and my relationships with the pupils. I have even had parents that have written me letters thanking me for helping to boost their kids achievement and love of my lessons. However, I know that I don't come accross as well on paper and I fear that this is preventing me from getting interviews where I can show off what I can do. My PGCE took extra time as I had 3 family deaths to contend with during the year and I have been told that this may affect my chances? I have started to send of an executive summary with my applications. Is there any other tips that you could suggest that may help me get to an interview?
    P.S. My name is well known in local schools but my area is known as "the place teachers go to die", it is very much a retirement area and as such very few places become available.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your situation is not easy - there are just too many of you out there looking for jobs - and in one of the areas known as the Graveyard of Ambition, I don't doubt: someone gets a job there and then never moves!
    First - the elephant, i.e. your long time to do your PGCE. Are you up-front about this? Something along these lines: Although the sudden death of three family members in six months meant that my PGCE took a little longer than normal, this extended period enabled me to consolidate my teaching skills, leading to very successful supply posts where parents have written to tell me how much they appreciate what I do with their children
    See? Turning a possible disadvantage into a clear advantage.
    And secondly, are you setting out equally clearly the benefits of supply teaching? Look at this:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    You need to be upfront about what you have done and can do. If the worst comes to the worst, you could consider booking an application one-to-one with me in London, but I reckon that if you put your mind to it, you can sort this yourself!
    Good luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!