1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I didn't get the job.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by elsiedee2711, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. elsiedee2711

elsiedee2711 New commenter

I am gutted. As an internal candidate I really felt the pressure and it was a gruelling day. Head has offered feedback face to face as I still have to work at the school until the end of the year. But, as of September, I may be unemployed.

Finding it very hard to find the enthusiasm to go in tomorrow and be business as usual.

Thank you for the fantastic advice on these forums though - I felt more prepared than I have ever felt before!

Hoping everything looks better in the morning, then on to the jobseeking in earnest.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Huge commiserations. Here's something you may need in the short-term.

[​IMG]
    Allow yourself to feel disappointed , after all it is a let-down.

But then focus on finding a job for Sept, so you will need to start rebuilding ideas for that new application when the next raft of job adverts comes out.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is SO disappointing for you, @elsiedee2711 .Especially as you felt well prepared. :(

Yes, that will be the hardest thing - but you should feel proud when you get through the day.

May, may. And you may well not be! There will be many jobs coming up, and even in the final run up - after the May 31 deadline - there will be plenty of opportunities since only people like you without a job for September can apply for those vacancies when they start coming in June.

That's the spirit!

And it will still be here for you later on.

[​IMG]

Go on - spoil yourself!

Best wishes

4. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I was in exactly the same position this time 12 months ago. It was horrible as I loved the job I was in and it was hard to do the rest of the year (Sorry to say but I'd rather share my actual experience than rose-tinting it) but there is life afterwards.

I didn't get a job for September and ended up doing a term's supply up until Christmas when I secured a fixed term post for January through till September. Now I'm back job-hunting again (which I hate) and am desperately hoping this time I'll get a permanent post. I've had to do a bit of casual work to make up money when I didn't get supply but I don't have many airs and graces so it was fine.

A suggestion might be to apply for moderation/examination vacancies to supplement income and make you feel like you're taking control of things. It's also useful CPD you can talk about in applications/interviews.

Best of luck and big hugs because I know it's awful as I've been there.

xx

bob79 likes this.
  5. elsiedee2711

elsiedee2711 New commenter

Thank you all,
    Yesterday was a difficult day made worse by the a cold that had been threatening to develop since the weekend but I made it. There is a lot of anger in the department and the school that I was not appointed and it was nice to feel that support. It's all a bit confusing though as, by the end of yesterday, an appointment had still not been made. I believe there has been quite an argument over who to offer the job to. It's all very dramatic!

Thank you for sharing your story @englishteach101 - I have been doing exam marking for about 6 years and already have a contract lined up for this in the summer so that is something! I'm never one to sit and twiddle my thumbs so I shall find something to do to keep my hand in and earn a bit of money!