1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: I didn't get the job :(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by squirlywhirly, May 7, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,

You may remember I posted about having my first interview in an independent girls' school last week...well I didn't get it :( Must have been either 2nd or 3rd choice out of the 4 interviewed, as one was sent home early. Turns out they did want Spanish though, so I suppose I didn't really have much chance anyway...

Had my 2nd interview at a state comprehensive on Thursday, and didn't get that either. I'm really gutted about this one though, the school was perfect for me and the head gave me brilliant feedback - said that it was "a good lesson and an impressive interview for a PGCE student" and that if it had been another day or whatever he'd have given me the job straight away. There were 6 interviewed for two positions, and I was 3rd choice apparently so just missed out :(

Anyway, have a 3rd interview on Tuesday at a small, rural 11-16 comprehensive and if I don't get that I have another for maternity cover at an academy on Wednesday. How can I make myself stand out as the best candidate? Obviously I must impress with my application/letters but to get so close and then not get it is frustrating.

The school on Tuesday don't want me to teach a lesson, which seems a little odd. Any ideas why? It just seems to me that now all the pressure is on to impress in the interview...

Thanks for any advice you can give :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't really know whether to commiserate or congratulate you! Yes,two disappointments, but to get 4 interviews is fantastic. And aren't you lucky that the mat job is last. All my advice on interviews is in the 2 interview clickables inside the Welcome thread. No idea why they don't want a lesson on Tuesday. See if you can get from your past lesson observations on TP a niice quote about the quality of your teaching, to spout in the interview at some point. Good luck!