1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I didn't get the job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi Theo
    Just wanted to update you - I didn't get the job I had the interview for this week.
    I had good feedback from the Head though - she said she thought my lesson was brilliant and so was my interview - it was a specific aspect of the role that made her question whether I was quite right for it and because they need to drive school improvement quickly, she didn't want to take the risk. I can understand that, but it's so annoying since everything else seems to have been good! I wish she would have brought up her concern in detail in the interview so I could have discussed it properly with her.
    At least I now know I <u>can</u> write a good application, I <u>can</u> deliver a good interview lesson, and that I <u>can</u> come across well in interview. Thanks Theo for giving me the confidence to do these.
    Onwards and upwards...
    sparkly

2. Hi Theo
    Just wanted to update you - I didn't get the job I had the interview for this week.
    I had good feedback from the Head though - she said she thought my lesson was brilliant and so was my interview - it was a specific aspect of the role that made her question whether I was quite right for it and because they need to drive school improvement quickly, she didn't want to take the risk. I can understand that, but it's so annoying since everything else seems to have been good! I wish she would have brought up her concern in detail in the interview so I could have discussed it properly with her.
    At least I now know I <u>can</u> write a good application, I <u>can</u> deliver a good interview lesson, and that I <u>can</u> come across well in interview. Thanks Theo for giving me the confidence to do these.
    Onwards and upwards...
    sparkly

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Absolutely brilliant sparklyrainbowfish on your feedback. Perhaps trying for a school in need of instant improvement is not for you just at this present time.

4. Hi Sparkly,
    Did you attend one of Theo's CV clinics? Does he actually help you to write it? or is it the same tips he gives online? I have written one after my PGCE which got me my current NQT role.(it was a term's contract which turned into a yer's contract) I want to make my application outstanding to get my foot through the shortlisting door.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes Sparkly, it's disappointing yet nonetheless very pleasing. You have come out of the process with your head held high, and an enormous amount of justifiable confidence. This bodes extremely well for the next application.
    Well done!
    Krama- I don't do CV clinics. CVs are not used for applications to maintained sector schools.
    I do the Job Application seminars (officially called something like Get That Teaching Job), and No, I don't actually write a CV or an application for anyone at the seminars!
    However, despite me being mean enough to refuse to do that, the seminars get extremely high ratings from participants, with 100% saying that they would recommend them to others. In fact yesterday, we had people who had been recommended by others to come, including one whose partner had attended a few weeks ago and so she signed up too.
    The next one is this Friday, 25th February, morning or afternoon. It lasts about 2.5 - 3 hours, with lowish numbers so you can ask questions easily. We look at the application letter, the interview, and the executive summary. With practical exercises.
    www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    For individual attention to an application, you need to book a one-to-one session with me.
    No, I will not then write an aplication or executive summary for you - how mean of me!
    But I get you to send me beforehand a copy of a recent/current application, with the job details, so that in the meeting I have already prepared how to work with you, loking at how to identify what you should be saying and how to do it, in the letter and the executive summary.
    After coming to a seminar or a one-to-one, people tend to get a very much higher hit-rate of getting interviews, although we do not guarantee that you will get a job - nor even guarantee that you will get an interview! But this will certainly increase your chances.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details.
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry, been pointed out that I missed answering this point.
    No, it is not just the same tips as posted on line - there would be no Added-Value in coming if it were!
    Much fuller, additional information, there are practical exercises at some point.
    But we don't write your application or executive summary for you - just show you the techniques.
    Best wishes

The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. Hi Theo,

sorry to crash this thread but from reading your advice I have a short question. I am about to finish a two term mat cover (as an NQT) and am very keen to get another contract to finish my NQT this year - I have an interview in March for the only job i've found to apply for (even in London there seems to be very little!) and (here is the question) I have not included an executive summary, i've never heard of it in the context of a CV - where should I have included one? On my covering letter or supporting statement?

Thank you for your help!

E