1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I didn't get that job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gsr25, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

i didn't even get shortlisted. Despite being encouraged to apply. How am I going to show my face at the school now? (I volunteer there)
    Still thanks for all your help Theo, much appreciated.
    Maybe one of the other applications will come to fruition.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How very very VERY disappointing!

And how strange that you were encouraged to apply, yet they didn't even shortlist you. Who did the encouraging?

I'd like to hear more . . . meanwhile have this:

And please DO eat it all at once.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

3. Gsr25

Yummy thanks very much!
    The school encouraged me! I guess they just got better offers...

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But who in the school . . .

5. Gsr25

SLT?!
    I'm ok, I've had my cry now.
    Fingers crossed for one of the other applications.
    It does make me wonder whether my experience is off putting (former teacher) and I'm applying for support roles.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In which case go and speak in private to that person and ask, NOT why you weren't shortlisted (puts them on the defensive), but for some advice for the next application so that you are more likely to be shortlisted.

Ah.

Are you making it clear about working with the teacher at the teacher's instruction, if a TA, for example. . .

Good luck

7. Gsr25

I don't think I am brave enough for that Theo! I felt that I put my all into that application, I took your advice to the letter, I even set up a new email address especially for job applications!
    Yes I am, when I am in the class I am asked to do all sorts of jobs such as photocopying etc which I have no problem in doing. I was a TA before I became a teacher so I feel I know how to behave in that role.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, you aren't brave enough.

So, from your new e-mail address, send this e-mail to the person involved.

Subject: A request for advice

Dear X

I wonder if you would be kind enough to give me some advice?

It would be really helpful for me if you could give me some tips for next time that I apply for the job of (whatever it was). What suggestions do you have to help me show that I am a suitable candidate for this type of post? Do I need to get more experience in some areas, do I need to present my application differently, are there things that I should have mentioned that I left out, or on the contrary did I mention things that were not relevant. Anything at all that you can think of to help me for next time.

I would value your advice over this a great deal

Try that - you don't have to be brave to sit and write a polite e-mail . . .

Best wishes

midnight_angel and Gsr25 like this.
  9. Gsr25

Thanks Theo, I think I might try that. I'll give it some thought over the weekend and hopefully I won't be feeling quite so bitter!
    Many thanks again for all your fantastic advice :)

midnight_angel likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Years ago, when I was spending literally years making job applications I wrote to out Head of Education who gave me some valuable advice, which combined with the excellent advice from Theo, helped me make better applications and now I am in a full-time post.
    Keep plugging on. [​IMG]

Gsr25 likes this.
  11. Gsr25

Thank you Lara, i will keep that quite and remind myself of it. I have to keep reminding myself that although when I am back in I the classroom and it feels like I have never been away, I have actually been away professionally for over 4 years so it will take time.