1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - I didn't get that job! Yay!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LorelaiVictoria, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Not, I'm starting to get really frustrated about this situation - I've emailed the head for feedback and haven't had anything, I have postmortemed the interview to death, I know that I answered the questions well as I was told by the interviewees that I had done so at the end, the lesson could have gone better but the children really enjoyed, three asked would I be coming back. The unseen task was a doddle, mark a selection of written work.

I'm actually hearing impaired and starting to believe that this is holding me back - what can I do to improve on anything if I get nothing back?!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, so disappointing for you!I advise [​IMG] & choc if that's your 'weakness'.
    Don't worry too much about feedback, it often isn't worth anything at all, unlikely to be the 'real' reason & often needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.
    It really is tough at present & sometimes there's just no logical reason why the successful candiadte got the job above you.
    Onward & upward!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First the commiserations . . . really disappointing for you. But how sweet that the children asked when you were coming back!
    Two things I will say.
    Firstly, did you declare your impairment on your application? Are you covered by the DDA? What Reasonable adjustments were made to support you?
    Secondly, I wonder if you are now a case for an individual meeting with me. It may be that there is something that I could do to identify areas which need to be strengthened. Pricey, I know (and the money goes mainly to TES, not me!), but it is an investment in your future.
    Think about it, perhaps e-mail Julia (details below) and ask her to ring you to talk it through with you. Her advice on whether or not to go for it, and which option, could be useful.
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. I did 'tick the box' - so it was declared, the interview was fine in view of my disability so covered by the DDA. Wondering whether there is a legal thingy whereby people have to be put through for interview if they've declared a disability - some insane equality thing?

I can't afford anything other than rent or food at the moment.

5. WHat really pi**es me off is that I emailed the HT today just before 9 asking whether any feedback might be emailed, and I haven't heard anything in response.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't think so. It could be unmanageable!
    I do know that certain employers state that any disabled applicants who meet all their criteria will always be interviewed. It is clearly on their documentation. Don't think it's a legal requirement, though.
    Feedback generally isn't worth the air it is breathed on. Schools are careful not to say anything that could get them sued. In your case, with the disability declared, they will be even more scared.
    On another tack, I wonder if you could include something in your next application on the lines of:
    I develop positive working relationships quickly with children. After a recent Year 3 class where I replaced the normal teacher, 3 pupils asked me at the end when I would be coming back to teach them again.
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. Abi - I feel your pain I really do, I am in pretty much the same situation as you.

H.I and finding it impossible to secure the job.

I am now suffering from anxiety over it all, and have started to look for jobs outside teaching as I need something to keep me going.

I have been asked inappropriate disability related questions in my interviews, and it is something that is in the hands of my union now.

I find the lack of constructive feedback really difficult to get over, I have had one or two heads that have given really good constructive feedback to help, and it really was appreciated, because when I thought back to my answers I thought yeah that makes sense. However I think it is one thing that we just have to keep on with, and perhaps will strike gold one day. (I hope!)

ps. Have sent you a pm.