1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I didn't get it...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Mariecapper, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mariecapper

Mariecapper New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I was called yesterday to be told I didn't get the job I wanted :-( She was really positive and said out of 31 applicants I was shortlisted and she said they were deliberating between me and the other candidate for 45 minutes. She said the other candidate just had an 'edge' but she said feedback wise I gave an excellent lesson and I was very strong in the interview as well.
    What is this 'edge' and how can I get it?
    She told me not to be disheartened at all as she said I was a very strong candidate and it was a very difficult decision, and she said she knows it's no consollation to me at the moment but she said I will do well for myself.
    That's all great, but positive feedback wasn't the job though, so I wonder if there's any other advice? She said I wasn't nervous, there was nothing wrong at all.
    Just wish I could know, I'm going to give the application process a rest until after Easter. My current deputy said I should be really proud of myself for getting such a good response but all I can think of is the big fat no :-(

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Its great you have a job already [​IMG]
    And I'm sure she is right, someone always has to 'win', next time it may be you. Well done on such great feedback and rather than get disheartened (we've all been there, believe me!!) use it to be even more wonderful on your next application/interview.
    I got my first (and only) job from a recommendation of a 'failed' interview so try and stay positive. xxx

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

O.K.
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again.
    Sometimes, appointing someone is a bit like falling in love.
    The two candidates are neck-and-neck. Nothing to choose between them, both extremely appointable. But somehow . . one just seems to click with you.
    You can't say why, any more than you can say why you fell in love with A instead of B.
    So as the others have said - at that school you didn't click, but elsewhere you will.
    Don't worry, just look at the very good points made there - especially about the lesson.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.