1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: I cannot make the interview date!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can ask - but it is unlikely, in my view, because you are not available the day before or after.
    I think that they would find it hard to hang on until the next week, as they would run the risk of the other candidates getting jobs elsewhere. And they would be quite miffed that having applied yesterday, then today you want to change the date of your interview. Telling them that you didn't notice will not impress them either.
    For others in the same situation - it is best to offer to come in the day before, because then there is no impact on the other candidates who would be expecting the decision the evening of their interview.
    So unless you can manage to slip out of one day, you most probably will have to give up the chance of this job.
    Sorry!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

2. Obviously only you can decide what to do, but I certainly would attend the interview, as it's so difficult at the moment to even get that chance. And what's more, I believe that most people would accept that this is an instance where you can 'let them down' and would understand your predicament. I've tried to rearrange interviews twice in the past, because I had invites for interviews on the same day, and it wasn't possible. Most schools would not be able to do it. Good luck with whatever you decide!