1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- I am going to give it (possibly) one last go!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Nov 12, 2011.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

[​IMG].
    Now that I have virtually/and really stopped crying[​IMG]!
    Anyway, (Sorry, I seem to write more than I would <u>EVER</u> talk in real life [​IMG]!
    Closing dates are not for a while, so I can really concentrate on them, as I am still a little dippy this morning - just put my washing powder on without the washing power in - whoops, so might need to re-read my applications[​IMG].
    I'm going to re-read the application clickables, and the seminar notes. I even emailed Julia about general info about 1-to-1's a while ago, but I feel so embarrased about all my posts on here, that I don't think I could actually face Theo in person again[​IMG]. Thanks for reading my waffle. Can't really talk about these kind of things to anyone else I know because no one is in the same position.

2. welshchocoholic1

[​IMG].
    Now that I have virtually/and really stopped crying[​IMG]!
    Anyway, (Sorry, I seem to write more than I would <u>EVER</u> talk in real life [​IMG]!
    Closing dates are not for a while, so I can really concentrate on them, as I am still a little dippy this morning - just put my washing powder on without the washing power in - whoops, so might need to re-read my applications[​IMG].
    I'm going to re-read the application clickables, and the seminar notes. I even emailed Julia about general info about 1-to-1's a while ago, but I feel so embarrased about all my posts on here, that I don't think I could actually face Theo in person again[​IMG]. Thanks for reading my waffle. Can't really talk about these kind of things to anyone else I know because no one is in the same position.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's the ticket welshchocoholic!
    Year 1s can be quite a shock if you're used to Secondary- I did my interview with them this past week! (Though in fact, despite not having worked with them for a while, I've found it easier to plan that lesson than my present one for year 5s!)
    * Little tip for anyone working with an unfamiliar year group -attention span of a child is <u>roughly chronological age + 2</u>. So for example year 1 5/6 years + 2 = 7/8 mins concentration span, year 5 9/10 11-12 mins etc., so you know how often to change activities and how many to plan.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

One last go - this weekend.
    Then another last go - next week. And at the weekend. And the week after.
    You can keep on giving the one last go, you know, and it makes it easier each time if you think that this one is the last.
    Until it's been posted or e-mailed, and you then start your next last one.
    Cheer up, chicken! You must have some really good memories of this last week to look at, and think how they show that you ARE a good teacher, and you CAN do a superb job, and you WILL get employed.
    Trust me - I'm TheoGriff!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. welshchocoholic1

Haha - yep, this is what I have been doing for a while now!
    [​IMG] Okay! x

6. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

You're secondary trained and working with year 1??!! I wouldn't have a clue where to start so well done for even trying. My niece is in year 2 now so you might think I would know what they like, etc. Unless it was a class full of little girly girls who liked dressing up as princesses and everything pink or Hello Kitty then I would be lost!

7. welshchocoholic1

I just like it a lot[​IMG] That's very kind of you to say Theo and Lara, but I think it's more a case of the blind leading the blind! x

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not neccessarily, you HAVE studied psychology, sociology and pedagogy of education and learning and students/children are all learners and it's your job to help them do that.
    I'm often asked (only this morning as it happens) "What do you teach?" and my answer is always 'Children/students'. Learning is learning, many subjects share similar aims, it's just the subject content which varies. That was the whole aim of the new KS3 The Big Picture, how subjects intersect or flow parallel and all the new emphasis on skills which are transferable and applicable across the curriculum are definitely the way forwward for our children to prepare them for the rapidly changing world of the future.
    I'll get off my soapbox now.