1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I am becoming quite a regular on here...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rainbowsandrain, May 15, 2012.

1. as I desperately apply for jobs! My latest job application requires a supporting statement showing how your qualities and experience are relevant for the post. The form states that you should pay attention to the national standards for the post. I have not come across this before - does it mean the QTS standards? If so, should I refer to them explicitly or not?
    Thanks,
    rainbowsandrain.

2. as I desperately apply for jobs! My latest job application requires a supporting statement showing how your qualities and experience are relevant for the post. The form states that you should pay attention to the national standards for the post. I have not come across this before - does it mean the QTS standards? If so, should I refer to them explicitly or not?
    Thanks,
    rainbowsandrain.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to see you!

Now this is good! You can use the national standards nicely and explicitly in. . . an executive summary! That will show beautifully that you comply!Probably means QTS -

not likely to be national standards for Headteachers ;-)

But google just to be sure there isn't anything else.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I haven't got a clue what these are, so, should I ever be offered an interview in the future, I'm interested in the answer too!

5. Thank you for the replies!

I have googled 'national standards' and nothing comes up so I'm assuming they are referring to QTS.

In my application, should I say something like (this is off the top of my head and not something I would actually write) 'my recent teaching placements have improved my knowledge of assessment (Q12)' or would the statement without the reference to the standard number suffice?
    I hope that makes sense!
    And Lara, thanks again for the lovely post on the flowers thread for me - I tried to send you a PM to thank you but it didn't seem to work.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No?

don't put the standard number in, that'll just look weird. I had imagined you using them in your exec summary, of course.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

7. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I wonder if they're a bit ahead of themselves and mean the national standards for teachers which I believe come into force in September alng with the new appraisal system.