1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, how would you approach this?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by seagirl, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am applying for headship posts and despite being told my applications are really good and using an ES I am not getting shortlisted. My own theory is that I am being dismissed by governing bodies as I am not currently in a school. A potted history is that I have 20+ years experience in school, including two years as a deputy head, and a further 9 years as a senior manager in children's services. I left CS to go back into school for 1 year to get my NPQH and get myself up to date with current school leadership practices, I got an MA in management in this time also. I worked as an Assistant Head and the current head was well aware that I would only stay for 18 months, but she was keen to have me. Currently I am delivering training on developing integrated teams for children's services as I was asked to do this because of my experience. I thought it would be a good prof dev opportunity also. I have a wealth of management experience, but I am afraid I am not being taken seriously, any advice please?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Looking for Headship from outside a school - yes this is going to be difficult. I gather that you haven't even really been back in a school much since doing your NPQH?
    My advice is that you actually need individual help here. A meeting with someone from the TES Careers Advice Service, me or someone else. I won't be available in either July or September, but there are other expert people who could advise you too if you need it at a different time.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com and discuss with her the options.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

<a name="6835716">[/URL]

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

How long have you been out of school this time? It's not clear from your summary.

4. Sorry it's difficult to include all info without going overboard with the detail. I have been delivering training since Jan 2011 - should be finished by December - hence looking for jobs now.

Thanks for taking the time to be interested Middlemarch - any advice would be welcome

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Have sent you a PM.