1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - (how) to organise school visits?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mujeralborde, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I am applying for my 2nd teaching position and am lucky to be able to go where the good jobs are. This means that I have applied for three jobs, all over England, and am tackling application no.4 tomorrow. Should I be trying to organise visits (or at least a conversation) with these (independent) schools?

The deadlines for 2 of the positions were last week - is it too late now to try and organise something over half term? Does it look needy, since I have submitted my application, and now should wait in silence like everyone else?

When is a good moment to contact a school about a vacancy?

Any advice would be appreciated. I read your other response on this topic and had a fright, thinking that my application might not even be considered as I have not visited the schools.

2. Dear Theo,

I am applying for my 2nd teaching position and am lucky to be able to go where the good jobs are. This means that I have applied for three jobs, all over England, and am tackling application no.4 tomorrow. Should I be trying to organise visits (or at least a conversation) with these (independent) schools?

The deadlines for 2 of the positions were last week - is it too late now to try and organise something over half term? Does it look needy, since I have submitted my application, and now should wait in silence like everyone else?

When is a good moment to contact a school about a vacancy?

Any advice would be appreciated. I read your other response on this topic and had a fright, thinking that my application might not even be considered as I have not visited the schools.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Calm down - I see that you are al borde de un ataque de nervios, but no need to go bonkers on me - ¿Qué he hecho yo para merecer esto?
    State schools. State primary school. These often expect visits - and if they do, say so in their details.
    Schools which mention nothing do not expect visits. Most independent schools would not offer visits (some do, but a minority).
    Sounds as though visits were never mentioned, so there's no problem. No need to contact anybody. Just get on with making that final application perfect!
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    There is also another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Phew! Thank you for putting my nerves at rest - we are a very volatile sex! (Smooth acknowledgment of my clin d'oeil, by the way).

I'll let you know how things go - I've read widely your advice and others' helpful posts, so I am at least hoping for an interview.

Gracias

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hoped you would say La mala educacion as your reply . . .

The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.

6. Ah - I missed an opportunity, there - Atame! (But not in the slightly weird way he does in the film).

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

La piel que habito wouldn't let me do that to you!
    (That's the end of my witty bits, I fear . . .)