1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- how to become DP Pastoral

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Rainbow111, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I have a wealth of pastoral experience - but i do not want to become a Housemistress, can i still eventually become a Deputy Head Pastoral within the independent sector without being a HSM first? - does my other experience count?
    Secondly are there any tips you may have for ensuring my CV is appealing for such a role? - any courses i must complete etc?

Best Wishes and Merry Christmas!
    R [​IMG]

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Hi Rainbow,
    For a day school it is not a requirement although one would presume you were head of year or something similar.
    For a boarding school it is much trickier. You do not have to be a housemistress, but you do have to have some knowledge of boarding school life, which you could do as a member of the residential team. I would find it difficult to take advice on boarding school life from someone who has no boarding experience and this, I feel, would be your problem. How are you going to convince someone you know what you are talking about when you have never done it?

3. Thanks for the reply, I have been Head of House (Yr 7-13) , and in my current boarding school Under - Housemistress last year and am currently a non - resident tutor (one night a week boarding duty)
    Beyond this though Karvol anything else you would suggest doing to enrich the CV?
    Thank you and Merry Christmas! R [​IMG]