1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - How to ask Head for a reference?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by likeme, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I am a supply teacher who would like to get a reference from a school I recently taught as a supply teacher.

I phoned the school (twice) to request to speak with the headteacher but the school receptionist 'insists' that I have to keep trying/calling until am lucky to get hold of the head (when he will be free).
    I strongly feel I will make a good impression if I request the head to be my referee over the phone than asking through an admin@school email.

Thank you All.

2. I am a supply teacher who would like to get a reference from a school I recently taught as a supply teacher.

I phoned the school (twice) to request to speak with the headteacher but the school receptionist 'insists' that I have to keep trying/calling until am lucky to get hold of the head (when he will be free).
    I strongly feel I will make a good impression if I request the head to be my referee over the phone than asking through an admin@school email.

Thank you All.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about e-mailing the school when would be a suitable time to discuss the matter of a reference with the Head. If they don't get back, it might usggest they don't want to be bothered and you might have to try a different angle. Or alternatively they might be able to suggest a day and time when you could speak to them.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Or write a formal letter, like we used to do in the olden days of yore.

5. Lara mfl 05

Middlemarch " Or write a formal letter, like we used to do in the olden days of yore"
    That of course Middlemarch. I was only thinking in terms of speed- 2-3 days for a letter to get there and then 2-3 days for a reply.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Is it a secondary school? Ask the receptionist what time he comes out of Assembly.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March

7. Quite sure first class post is next day most of the time. The one time I posted a letter (not good at olden day stuff - far too young and impatient) at 3:30pm on a Monday night, I received an e-mail response on the Tuesday night. In my experience that is faster than I ever get responses on e-mail anyway...

8. Lara mfl 05

Not in my area it isn't.And anything posted late on a Friday afternoon (when jobs are advertised and I phone for an application form) usually doesn't get to me before Tues.!