1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo How to answer this question on a application form

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by allalone, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Have you ever been subject to any formal disciplinary action or compromise agreements? I accepted a CA I thought you couldnt disclose it and how can you put it on there without it looking negative?

2. If so, please give details (disclosures need not bar you from appointment).

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is now a legal matter - you are not allowed to disclose, they are asking you to, and if you don't and it is subsequently discovered, you could be summarily sacked for withholding information.
    So you need to talk to your union about this . . . regional office, not local school rep. Pronto.
    It is a very difficult situation to be in, I'm sorry for you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

How to stop teachers applying to your school if they've left under a compromise agreement - add a section of the application form requiring them to disclose something they've agreed not to disclose.
    That's the reason this section is there.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I'm afraid that this could be the reason for it being there.
    And even if that isn't on your application form, some canny Heads include on the reference request form that Heads are asked to fill in: Please confirm that this reference is given freely and is not an agreed reference as part of a Compromise Agreement or similar arrangement.
    But do see what advice your union gives; although it may be, as Middlemarch hints "Don't apply to this school".
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

6. Hi Both
    Thanks anyway ...I have spoke to regional Union and they said they will get back to me ..... Hmm in fact a lot of academy jobs are asking unsuitable questions all kinds of things disability, days off sexual orientation etc etc

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Leaving out 'days off' most standard application forms have attached a 'monitoring form' , which asks for such things as race, disability, sexual orientation, etc. You're not normally obliged to answer these questions - but I'd be interested to hear whether or not that is the case with academy jobs you've seen.

8. I have had to tick box 'how many days off have you had in the last year?' or something like that. The boxes were something like 0-3 days, 4-6 days, 7-9 days, 10+ days. There wasn't a 'don't want to answer this question' option, although fortunately I was able to tick the first of these (0-3 days). Have a feeling this might have been on an application form for an academy.

Have also been asked on at least a couple of 'equal opps forms' whether I still went by the same sexual orientation as the one I was born with! (Although it was worded strangely which nearly made me end up putting the wrong answer!)

For all other questions there has been (as far as I recall) a 'prefer not to answer' box.