1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: How strange...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by silverstars, May 23, 2011.

1. In frustration at the lack of jobs, last week I applied for a job that was utterly wrong for me and emailed it off before I could change my mind. Having put little thought and no passion into the application, I was very surprised to recieve a phonecall today inviting me to interview. I decided that I should probably attend, even if it were just for the practise and opened up my application form to remind myself of what I had written. When I opened it, I found that the personal statement was missing from the application form. I thought that perhaps I had deleted it in error as I opened the document, so I opened the email I sent to them, downloaded the attachment, and sure enough the personal statement was missing - it's clear that I managed to delete it or save the wrong version carelessly in my haste to send off the form. What I'm completely bewildered about is, why would a school shortlist anyone for interview without a personal statement? Is it possible that they shortlisted based on other factors i.e. degree class/subject? I'm very confused.

2. In frustration at the lack of jobs, last week I applied for a job that was utterly wrong for me and emailed it off before I could change my mind. Having put little thought and no passion into the application, I was very surprised to recieve a phonecall today inviting me to interview. I decided that I should probably attend, even if it were just for the practise and opened up my application form to remind myself of what I had written. When I opened it, I found that the personal statement was missing from the application form. I thought that perhaps I had deleted it in error as I opened the document, so I opened the email I sent to them, downloaded the attachment, and sure enough the personal statement was missing - it's clear that I managed to delete it or save the wrong version carelessly in my haste to send off the form. What I'm completely bewildered about is, why would a school shortlist anyone for interview without a personal statement? Is it possible that they shortlisted based on other factors i.e. degree class/subject? I'm very confused.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have no idea!
    Just go with the flow - and be prepared to wow them
    Best of luck.
    I'm expecting a new thread caled Dear Theo - i got that job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!