1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, how should I approach this?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gavinapv, Feb 26, 2012.

1. My degree was in business studies, but I completed a PGCE in ICT.
    Since then I have been working in a very different but rewarding role in
    an inclusion unit. I feel that I now need to complete my NQT year, but I'm a little concerned about how my choice of subjects will seem to others.
    If I am applying for a post teaching business, how would my choice of PGCE subject appear to others and how and when should I explain it? Will schools be concerned about my ability to teach ICT if I were to apply for an ICT role?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

These two complement each other, in my view.
    You will need to explain it in your application letter, and say how the subjects complement each other, that you are flexible and can be timetabled to teach either subject - that's a plus!
    But there are very few BS posts, you know, whereas every school teaches ICT.
    If you have a PGCE in ICT - why should they be?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com