1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - how many times is it acceptable to apply to the same school?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon2189, Jun 2, 2011.

1. In short:
    I was a student in an outstanding school. A job came up I was interviewed and in the end it went to another student in the school . Another vacancy came up later in the year to cover maternity. The head contacted me while I was working as a supply teacher and I applied and got it.
    At the end of that year a permenant poisition was advertised at the school. It was obvious that it was for the other teacher to make her contract permenant but I was encouraged by another teacher to go for it to show I was interested incase something else came up. So I went through my third lengthy interview process at the same school, didn't get it, my pride was a little wounded but I got a job somewhere else in the end. Now my temporary contract at that school is about to end and school number 1 are advertising again.
    I suppose this is more about my pride than anything else but I want to stay on good terms with the head as she has been really supportive and has given me good references in the past. However, when I told her I was job hunting to ask if she would be a referee again she didn't mention there was a job at her school. Should I read into this? Would I come accross as desperate or would I be showing resiliance and determination?! It's a small school and I know and get on with all the senior leaders. It was uncomfortable for all of us when they interviewed me before and I didn't get the job. On top of all of that I know that the school has already had over 250 applications so getting short listed would hardly be a walk in the park.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

2. In short:
    I was a student in an outstanding school. A job came up I was interviewed and in the end it went to another student in the school . Another vacancy came up later in the year to cover maternity. The head contacted me while I was working as a supply teacher and I applied and got it.
    At the end of that year a permenant poisition was advertised at the school. It was obvious that it was for the other teacher to make her contract permenant but I was encouraged by another teacher to go for it to show I was interested incase something else came up. So I went through my third lengthy interview process at the same school, didn't get it, my pride was a little wounded but I got a job somewhere else in the end. Now my temporary contract at that school is about to end and school number 1 are advertising again.
    I suppose this is more about my pride than anything else but I want to stay on good terms with the head as she has been really supportive and has given me good references in the past. However, when I told her I was job hunting to ask if she would be a referee again she didn't mention there was a job at her school. Should I read into this? Would I come accross as desperate or would I be showing resiliance and determination?! It's a small school and I know and get on with all the senior leaders. It was uncomfortable for all of us when they interviewed me before and I didn't get the job. On top of all of that I know that the school has already had over 250 applications so getting short listed would hardly be a walk in the park.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Go for it!
    Don't cut off your nose to spite your face or save your pride. This time you will be competing against different people from last time, so your chances are not the same.
    Make sure that you treat it as an external, unknown school that yoiu are applying to - too many internal candidates or those who know the school think: Oh, I don't need to tell them that - they know what I do! And they undersell themselves
    Don't forget to read and follow the advice in the clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    The advice has really helped other posters.
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    Best of luck!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. Little Miss Summer, I had almost the same experience. What Theo says is right. I didn't think I had to tell them all the basic things I could do at the interview because they knew I could do them and I didn't see the point. I didn't get the job. I was told that apparently you have to act as if it's a completely new school and that I didn't sell myself at all. It still seems ridiculous but there you are. At least if you do give them the full sell then they have no excuse not to appoint you.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.