1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo How long to wait before I know I didn't get an interview this time?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LoveCondensedSoup, May 4, 2011.

1. I am returning to the job applying process after 7 years working in the same school - I'm sure it wasn't this nerve wracking before, but it is time for me to move on and feel a bit our of touch with the system.
    My question is . . . what is the usual time frame between closing date, calling candidates for interview and interview. I have read somewhere that 7 days notice needs to be given before interview. Is this correct?
    I'm wondering at what point do I accept that I didn't get an interview (this time) - obviously by the date of interview I know! But can I put myself out of the letter box/phone watching stage earlier?
    p.s. Used your tips and advice on how to get shortlisted and completed a summary for the first time, seems a great idea!

2. I am returning to the job applying process after 7 years working in the same school - I'm sure it wasn't this nerve wracking before, but it is time for me to move on and feel a bit our of touch with the system.
    My question is . . . what is the usual time frame between closing date, calling candidates for interview and interview. I have read somewhere that 7 days notice needs to be given before interview. Is this correct?
    I'm wondering at what point do I accept that I didn't get an interview (this time) - obviously by the date of interview I know! But can I put myself out of the letter box/phone watching stage earlier?
    p.s. Used your tips and advice on how to get shortlisted and completed a summary for the first time, seems a great idea!

3. Not sure about the notice period........

In the SW, where I live, there is often a note in the advert to say that if you haven't been contacted by XXXX then you have been unsuccessful on this occasion....... My general rule of thumb is if they haven't contacted you with a couple of days of the closing date then you haven't been shortlisted.

Good luck with your job hunting!

4. Thanks, it has only been one day! Obviously first attempt in a while so would be unlikely to be successful first time out but obviously I think I would be perfect for the job . . . .
    After a few more applications I wont be watching the postbox at all! I'll give it until Friday.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Noooooo! Dream on!

Two or three days isn't unusual, especially for experienced teacher posts at this time of year. I was looking at a couple earlier with closing dates on the Monday and interviews scheduled for the Wednesday. Or closing dates on the Friday and interviews on the following Tuesday.

Most schools shortlist within two or three days of the closing date.

6. Sounds like Friday would be a good day to stop fretting and have a large glass of wine then! There are two weeks between the closing date and interview for this post, must be an organised school. Good to know that from now onwards I only have to panic about the possibility of an actual interview for a few days!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, there is no rule at all about giving you a certain amount of notice for an interview. In fact, if one person pulls out at the last minute, a school sometimes rings another person up the night before...
    You'll just have to sit there and bite your nails, I'm afraid.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 9 days to go, this is nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *

The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May BUT NOW SOLD OUT.
    Sorry
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

8. Nail biting commenced!

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

A lot of schools shortlist very quickly but others take more time - I applied recently to a school that didn't contact me until a week after the closing date. You can always ring them up and ask when they'll be shortlisting; unlikely that they'll ask for your name, so it won't affect your chances and might do a lot for your nails ;-)