1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear theo how long does it take to find out?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sanfilogoff, Jul 19, 2011.

1. I had a job interview last week which I thought went very well. Good class, positive immediate feedback and an explanation of the rest of the process including asking me about hours, preferences etc. in a way that didn't seem like going through the motions (and I am a career changer with lots of interview experience though not in schools).
    And although I've had one phone call saying that they have some things to sort out, like staff requirements across teh school and they would let me know the next day, either way.

Well that was a week ago. How long do I wait? I really liked the school and head of dept and the Head too.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I'm afraid so.
    They might spend a day debating. Or even give 24 hours to choice A who wasn't quite sure whether to accept.
    But a week is too long, especially at this time of year when they will be keen to get everything sorted before the end of term.
    So, it's time to have a big bar of consolation:
    [​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. Commiserations I think - and it is utterly rude not to tell you either way!!!

At this point I would phone and ask - if the answer is no then be irate enough to let them know you are unhappy but don't go over the top! - I guess heads talk!!!

4. yes, I have phoned, last week and she called me back and said she would ring the next day as they had lots of decisions to make about where they needed staff across the school. And she didn't. So I called yesterday and again this morning, neither time she was available and I left a message.
    I am ok not getting it (wanted it very much but entirely understand someone else might be better) but what I cannot fathom is why they don't make contact with someone they called in to interview virtually instantly. It is rude, discourteous and frankly disrespectful.

5. This has only happened to me once, on the occasion I have also posted about lower down this page, and whilst you know it is a reflection of the school's poor manners and therefore not a place you would have wanted to work, I sympathise tremendously: it is very upsetting and hard somehow to put into words.
    I had three interviews in one week: on the Monday, the Tuesday and Friday. Monday's interview was a very strong field and immediately I thought I wouldn't get it - I was surprised (and delighted) to make the first cull at lunch time. When the post went to another candidate, I wasn't at all upset: the Head explained very nicely that he had more experience and how much she had enjoyed meeting me and made a point of thanking me for my time and urging me to fill in the travel expenses. I felt valued, in short, but when I wasn't even told the outcome of the second interview that week, I felt worthless and as if my time, toils and expectations amounted to nothing [​IMG]
    As you can see, mine had a happy ending - I was appointed on Friday (after crying on Thursday because school 2 made me feel so rubbish) and now, as a new HOD, have vowed to make the interview process as pain free as possible for new staff and to make all visitors to my new school feel welcome and valued. Any school who does any less is frankly not worthy of your time - it's just a shame you have to GIVE your time in order to discover this! xx

6. Update: I got the job! I understand their reasons for the delay although slightly surreal, it's turned out well! Excited.

7. Wow!! Fantastic news!
    That does seem unexpected after reading this thread so many, many, congratulations to you!

8. Well done and congrats on the job! I must admit I didn't think you had got it with that VERY long delay but very pleased for you!

9. laconn

laconn New commenter

well done! did they explain about the long wait?

10. yes they did. out of their control, i'm guessing end of term didn't help. i was first choice (my first thought was that i had been second and no 1 had dropped out!). If I ever get to recruit I won't do it that way!
    but, my first job, wonderful!

11. Excellent news! Well done! [​IMG]

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well worth all that nail biting and that horrid long wait!

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    The next thing to do is to read this thread:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    and then bump it for other people to see.
    Very best wishes for September. (Please may I have my consolation chocolate back from post 3).
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.