1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo How/do non NQT personal statements differ from NQT ones?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Tills, Mar 26, 2011.

1. I was employed on a maternity contract and budget wont allow me to be kept on so after my first year I'm back to looking. Ok, the question might sound a bit stupid, of course they differ a bit. But I was just wondering if there is any general etiquette. I've only been teaching a year and so some of my relevant experience still lies in my training - I had 2 FT TAs in my final year for example but don't have one this year.
    How much is it acceptable to talk about training or is it best to leave it behind? Are they looking for any specific points that make me different to an NQT? At the moment I'm covering all the bases I covered as an NQT - Why I think Iwould be good for the school, assessment, behaviour, experience relevant to the school, extra skills. Is there anything else?
    Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry about having to move on - but at least it sounds as though you've got induction , which is not the case for thousands of PGCE students who are still looking for an inductable post after qualifying in June 2010.
    Or even in June 2009.
    It is hard out there.
    First thing is to have a gooid read of the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome Thread - they give you advice on how to present your application.
    General advice on statement also here: Personal Statement
    But an important point is that nowadays you don't have A personal statement or application letter. Not just one. You have a slightly - or a lot - different one for each school.
    As for your question about what to include - after only one year, you may still refer to your TP schools where there is experience there that you don't have in your current post.
    Best wishes!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks Theo
    Agreed, I feel lucky to have had the experience I've had. One other question, in the application form should I list my teaching practices or just my current position. It says to list voluntary experience but I don't want it to look 'amature' if listing TPs isn't normal.