1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: How do I make my application for a TA post stand out?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lisahxxx, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Last year I completed a PGCE in primary education to stumble at the final hurdle and fail my final placement. Now I have come to terms with it I have started to think it was a good thing for me in my current situation and have decided that a TA position would actually be better for me as it would involve the part of teaching that I really enjoyed:) My main problem at the moment is that I really dont know how to write the personal statement for a TA position (had worked on writing one for a teacher) and the last post I applied for which was a level 2 had 46 applicants for it (and at another school there were over 150 applicants for 3 TA posts in a nursery provision). I really need my application to stand out but am worried that I dont have enough experience or dont know how to sell what I do have (I 'taught' on the PGCE for 19 weeks and volunteer at my local primary school - both before and after the PGCE). The tips in the FAQ seem to be aimed towards teachers - is there something similar for TA's?

2. Last year I completed a PGCE in primary education to stumble at the final hurdle and fail my final placement. Now I have come to terms with it I have started to think it was a good thing for me in my current situation and have decided that a TA position would actually be better for me as it would involve the part of teaching that I really enjoyed:) My main problem at the moment is that I really dont know how to write the personal statement for a TA position (had worked on writing one for a teacher) and the last post I applied for which was a level 2 had 46 applicants for it (and at another school there were over 150 applicants for 3 TA posts in a nursery provision). I really need my application to stand out but am worried that I dont have enough experience or dont know how to sell what I do have (I 'taught' on the PGCE for 19 weeks and volunteer at my local primary school - both before and after the PGCE). The tips in the FAQ seem to be aimed towards teachers - is there something similar for TA's?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The tips in the Welcome thread could, in fact, be used for applying for any job, whether in a school or elsewhere. so they will be really relevant to you as aTA too.
    You have two advantages over other TA applicants: firstly higher qualifications, plus the experience of choosing and doing the PGCE course, albeit finally stumbling. And secondly, at a time when many other applicants for TA posts have actually got QTS, you have the second advantage: you're in it for keeps. You don't just want a short-term job until you can get a teaching post, but want to make a career of it.
    So emphasise this in your applications. Say it openly: I chose to study and learn about working with children. Having stumbled at the final hurdle, I have decided to have a permanent career as a Teaching Assistant, as it will enable me to make a contribution to the development of children. I am not thinking of completing my PGCE, having made this deliberate decision to become a Teaching Assistant. I hope to find a school where I can work as part of a team with other TAs and teachers, and make a long-term contribution to . . . .etc.
    Don't copy those words directly, but you get the idea!
    Good luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks for this Theo. Just wondering if this is as relevant for a maternity cover type post (which is the main type being advertised at the moment)?