1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- how do I explain to Headteacher that I am applying for non-teaching positions?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by I_like_food, Jun 22, 2011.

1. My contract terminates at the end of this academic year so he is well aware of me leaving.

Due to the lack of teaching vacancies in this area and (for various reasons) my unwillingness to relocate, I am starting to apply for non-teaching positions. I was wondering if you could tell me the best way to inform my Head of this? I guess in some ways it is none of his business but he needs to know so that he can adapt my reference (which would obviously be slightly different for a teaching post).

I am aware that the job market in general is not good, However I feel that I have made my mind up.

If you have any advice as to how to broach the reference subject with my Head I would be very grateful

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good answer already given for the Known As bit!
    I think that you just say to him what you have said to me here.
    Tell him how much you have enjoyed working in his school, and are grateful for the professional and personal devlopment you have gained from working alongside such super colleagues.
    Say you would have loved to continue in teaching, but because of your personal circumstances you cannot move where the jobs might be, and being therefore limited to the local area, you are being forced to apply, reluctantly, for non-teaching jobs.
    However, your skills acquired as a teacher are very transferable, and you will be very grateful when he writes a reference in your support.
    Good luck to you

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!