1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, How do I apply for a teaching job in UK

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by profdeciencias, Dec 29, 2011.

1. I am a Portuguese citizen who was born in South Africa and I have taught Science according to the National Curriculum for England in international schools based in Portugal. I did so for about 4 years.
    Currently I am teaching in a public school in the area of Algarve, Portugal and I have been doing it for about 3 years.
    In 2005 I spent some time in UK doing supply teaching.
    Even though my higher education was taken in Portugal I am a fully qualified teacher (QTS). I would like to know how to apply to schools in the UK and if the whole precess is done online or by a job agency of some kind?.
    Many thanks,
    Rui

2. look on a teaching job website, e.g. TES or the county council that you want, find a job you like and either apply on line or contact the school for an application pack. It's pretty straight forward, so don't worry.

3. Good luck, but there are not enough jobs for the british teachers so why applying for here when you are currently working?
    Yes, I am looking for a long term permanent post and am bitter and twisted!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you will find it hard. Very hard.
    There are a large number of unemployed teachers in this country, and despite the EU regulations on movement of workers, schools are going to give preference to applicants who are UK trained and UK experienced, because of the horrible Damocles Sword of Ofsted that is hanging over their head.
    A Headteacher cannot afford to take a risk with someone who may not be 100% on board, understand the culture, the assessment regimes, understand UK state education. Your British experience is more equivalent to an independent school in the UK.
    In order to apply for a job in UK:
    a) you find details of a possible job by looking at the job sections of the TES. You can do this online here. You get a person specification and job specification (if you are lucky) and look up all the details of the school to find out what it needs.
    b) You fill in an application form and write a letter of application that sets out how you comply with their requirements. You can send this by post or on line, whatever the school wants. You have to abide by their closing date.
    c) You then have to be available for an interview in the UK, often at short notice. And they will not pay your travel fares from Portugal - they often don't even pay them for UK applicants.
    d) If you are lucky enough to be called for interview, you have to give an observed lesson to a class of pupils, with a lesson plan that conforms to Ofsted criteria, and shows differentiation etc. You also have a 30 minute interview with an appointment panel.
    There are sometimes very large numbers 60, 100, 200 applying for each post. If you teach Physics or Chemistry (and have a degree in one of these, not a general Science degree) you will have fewer competitors. A school will normally call only 5 or 6 people for interview, so most people send out loads and loads of applications and do not get anywhere, I'm afraid.
    You might find it useful to read this advice meant for teachers working in British schools abroad who wish to return to the UK:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/367458.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars