1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, How create can you be with applications?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by james., May 20, 2011.

1. james.

james. New commenter

Hello Theo,

I have been wondering how creative you can be with teaching applications. Having followed your advice, with a two page personal statement and an executive summary I have a fairly decent success rate for interviews as a primary teacher. However, I don't feel the formal nature of this really reflects what I am good at. I've been wondering if it's worth submitting applications which show a little bit more creativity.

For example one school focuses heavily on assessment for learning, and I have a mind map showing my personal approach to this in my portfolio, is it worth sending this in place of a page of an application, or as well as? Another idea I had was to send the executive summary as a labeled drawing/painting of my classroom showing how I meet the specifications every day. (This is for a post as an art coordinator - one of my strengths.)

How do you think schools would react to a different type of application?

Thanks for your advice,

James.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm afraid that I can give no general answer to this - different schools will react differently and there is no surefire way of telling which sort that school is . . .
    Some schools might welcome it, seeing it as a breath of fresh air when they have 250 similar applications.
    Some may think it pretentious or showing a dangerous streak of individuality!
    You'll just have to go by how creative their website is if you wish to give it a go.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. I had been pondering this myself and I think it is about reading the schools. I like to create a brochure on Publisher (sticking within the two page A4 limit) to show my creativity however one head last year said he thought this was 'pretentious' while other heads have given me very positive feedback and said it has put me to the top of the pile - needless to say, the content still has to be there too. I also change the approach to the brochure, for two schools have used an 'X-Factor' theme and for both schools it worked!
    I am learning to read person specs and letters to applicants to know when 'creative practitioner' really means that and I have gained a lot from visits to schools or talking to the head or other staff or the LA ASTs who work with the schools.
    Also agree with Theo about looking at the website - however as more schools are moving to learning Platforms there seems to be a lot less creativity on the website.
    Hth

4. james.

james. New commenter

Thanks for the responses.

Bobby, how does an 'x-factor' theme work? Sounds interesting.