1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, how can I update my skills?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Christine 07, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I have been teaching internationally for 15 years and am now finding it very difficult to get back into UK schools. I have had a few interviews but it seems my lessons are only satisfactory. Is there any way to some kind of refresher course? I have tried to get up to date with current practices and am doing some supply work, but I think I need some help.
    thanks,
    Christine

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, being abroad can turn out to be a fabulous experience, but a bit of an educational backwater as far as keeping abreast with new ideas in the UK.
    I have two suggestions here.
    Buy this book from Amazon:
    [​IMG]
    It basically tells you how to do a superb lesson under observation conditions, which is really telling us how to be superb every day - if only!
    Secondly, consider coming on one of the TES courses - they are mainly on Saturdays, so that you don't lose a day's supply.
    Here are the current ones:
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    And this is the one I reckon could be good for you:
    S76. How to become Outstanding– Saturday 14th January, 2012 – Improving your lessons – inspiring learning
    Presented by Sara Bubb
    For more information please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop76.eventbrite.com
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars