1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, how best to summarise my current post (6 years)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by freshfriesan, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi, im trying to get together a "general letter of application that summarises my 6 years as a mainscale teacher. while applying for mainscale posts...
    heres what ive been up to:
    balnced tt of ks3 & 4 sci across all abilities, lead teacher for physics (inc. ordering equip), organised trips, tutored pupils in triple science before the entitlemnet with 100% a- c.
    trained in sre delivery . am the rps, part of literacy focus group..... the list could go on to be honest, but i want it to stand out, but not take over the whole letter, as i have to talk about my vision, other skills,
    another thing.... how relelvant is my experience before this post (it is a mixture of short term contracts, and week to week supply) do you know how best to make that sound like ive been up to good things
    im just so nervous i mean i know that you have to refer to the person spec and that, but much of the essential skills do go without saying?
    thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why?
    You shouldn't have a general letter, but one which is specific to each school.
    Have a look at the clickables inside the Welcome thread, especially the FAQs and the shortlisting ones at this stage of your job search. These explain about writing an application that sets out your skills and experience, but answers what the school is looking for. The executive summary will be particularly useful to you.
    The point is that you must include things that are relevant to that school - so it is difficult to say that the whole of your past experience is relevant or not.
    Have you been up to good things? In what way has this experience enhanced your skills and enriched your contribution to your current school? Look at this thread to see if it is similar to your situation:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Your post, in addition to sounding careless and can't-be-bothered, is extremely hard to read because of the lack of punctuation. I would much prefer a more carefully written one next time, as it would make my life easier! It would also be a little more courteous . . .

Do go and read the advice in the Welcome thread. Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!