1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Housing

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Rocket123, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am currently teaching abroad and returning to the UK this summer. There seem to be quite a few jobs being advertised in independent day schools in London. This is an area I imagine I would not be able to afford housing costs. Do these types of school ever offer help with accommodation for teachers? Are teachers more likely to receive help with housing at boarding schools? What would be the best way to find out? (ie asking straight out before applying? at interview?).
    Thank you.

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Schools which offer accommodation quite often state this in their application pack.

Yes, London housing is expensive. Bear in mind, of course, that pay scales are often more generous than the state sector. I saw one HMC school in outer London advertising a scale starting at about £28/29k for M1.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Schools with boarding accommodation for pupils are likely to have accommodation available for some, most or all staff too, in exchange for boarding duties.
    Day schools rarely have accommodation for any but the Headteacher. Where there is such accommodation offered, it is made clear in the job details as this is a big perk.
    Help with housing in the form of some allowance is very rare - apart from anything else, you would have to pay tax on it anyway, I believe.
    Best wishes