1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Housing in the independent sector

Discussion in 'Independent' started by ICTgeek, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ICTgeek

ICTgeek New commenter

I've got a job interview at an independent school and the position and school seems perfect. The problem is it's in the south and I know we won't be able to afford housing costs as my husband would have to give up work until we have found childcare and settled in down there. My question is how common is it for schools to provide some sort of housing/help with housing for teachers? Especially around Hampshire/Surrey.
    Thank you

2. ICTgeek

ICTgeek New commenter

I forgot to ask, in the state sector you tend to have to accept the job there and then if you want it. Can you ask to get back to them the next day in the independent sector? So I can get the final go ahead from the husband?

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If help with housing is available it will be stated in the job particulars. The better known larger public schools (HMC and GSA) can sometimes help, perhaps by offering a school flat or even house, especially if they are really keen on the interviewee concerned, but the smaller proprietorial independents rarely have the funds or facilities to do so.

To answer your second question, in my experience heads usually like to ring with an offer on the evening of the last day of interviews. I doubt that many would mind being asked if you could ring back the next day, but don't expect any longer than that - it is normally expected that you would not have gone to interview unless you really wanted the job if offered it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Much more likely to have housing on offer if it's a boarding school. There are implications: you may well be asked to do some evening or weekend duties.

5. ICTgeek

ICTgeek New commenter

Hmm. It wasn't mentioned in the job description but neither were any pay particulars but it is a HMC school with boarders.
    Thank you for the advice regarding the job offer. In the state sector they've often make you wait and offer the job on the day and you have to make up your mind there.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If housing is not mentioned in the job details it is very unlikely to be available, in my view. Only boarding schools is the usual situation, and in exchange for boarding duties usually.

Waiting until the next day can usually be negotiated, UNLESS it is very near the resignation deadline.

You see, they will be concerned that Plan B candidate will get another job and turn them down.

However, to be a bit blunt here . . .

a) why can't you and your partner have talked this over beforehand? If you haven't got the final go-ahead from him, perhaps you shouldn't be wasting the school's time in an interview.

b) why make the other candidates wait longer, biting their nails . . .

Sorry - that sounds a bit harsh, but . . .

Get talking. Now!