1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - hourly paid teaching interview. How do I ask about pay?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by impossibility, Jul 1, 2015.

1. impossibility

impossibility New commenter

I have been offered an interview for an hourly paid position teaching A-Level. The idea of hourly paid is not ideal however the subject in question does not come up often and I feel experience teaching it would be good so I'd see it as more a means to an end.

The main thing I'm worried about is money. I know the rate of pay and hours but I am not clear on how hourly paid works. Will I get any preparation money or am I literally only paid for the hours I teach? It did not specify on the advert. The idea of only being paid of the hour I taught worries me financiallly, seeing as there would be time in half terms and evenings where I'd be planning and marking, especially seeing as I would be the sole teacher of this subject.

I have always been told never to ask about pay. How do I find this out? I would not want to accept the job without knowing more on the way the pay works.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

*sigh*

Nowadays you need to ask about pay.

If it's a school, ring the Business Manager and ask before you go to interview. If a College, ring Finance.

However, I must warn you that usually the hourly rate quoted includes both preparation and marking time, and often a nominal amount for holiday pay too.

So it is likely to be only the hours that you teach, and also be expected to attend some meetings . . .

You might be able to negotiate extra pay to mark eg mock exams.

But it will not be a living wage teaching one subject at A-level on this basis. Or any other basis, to be honest.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You might also want to find out how the hours are distributed. If its scattered - a couple of hours here, a couple there - you might find it very difficult to supplement your income with supply or another PT job.

Who told you not to ask about pay? If it was your mentor, I'm seriously worried about what other "advice" he/she has offered you.

4. impossibility

Thanks. I will ask about pay then. CWadd - ha, it was not my mentor it was my university who repeated this time and time again!

If it turns out that I only get paid for the teaching hours then I will not be interested. It is £20ph, and 13 hours a week I believe. I am not massively motivated by money but when I work that out yearly (including the fact it will be term time only) it doesn't seem like enough to do much with, considering the work I'll be putting in at nights/weekends/holidays. But it would be good experience and I can't tell if I'm being unrealistic. I just think they are expecting too much for that pay also considering I'd be the only teacher of that subject so would have little support.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm going to be frank. Your university do sound like plonkers.

If you are an NQT next year, who wants to teach, you will need a full time post in order to complete your induction. Teaching pro rata for 13 hours a week, with no support, will not cut it. You will essentially be used as an unqualified teacher.

As for holidays - you'll still need to pay rent, I presume, and they get boring very quickly if you cannot afford to do anything. 13 hours a week would definitely need supply work to bulk up your income, and you may find there is not much of it.

You are not being unrealistic - the College sound like they want to use you.

If I've upset you - I apologise. But I have noticed you've had a very uncertain time of it through your other posts, not sure if you want to teach. The situation you've described could turn you off teaching. No support, and being expected to deliver a niche subject at a loss could make you want to not continue.

6. impossibility

Sorry for a delayed reply, I was doing all this on mobile as I was on holiday but am back now.

You have not upset me at all. I am not keen on this post for all the reasons you've stated but at the same time I feel bad turning down a job that I have a very good chance of getting. However at this moment in time I am definitely leaning towards letting them know I will not be attending the interview. I just feel like I'd be being used, and it would be a very difficult year teaching two subjects I've never taught to A-Level with no support. For hardly any pay. The only redeeming feature is the experience but I don't think it is worth it. Maybe that makes me ungrateful, I don't know.

Thanks for all your comments.

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You're making a good decision. A college prepared to pay someone pro rata with no support clearly does not give a monkey's about its results, or its students - and as Sixth Form colleges survive by their results, I find that very worrying.