1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear Theo , honesty please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rebeccafound, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hi Im on UPS 1 and had a break from full time teaching for 3 years to have a family. I have been doing supply though for the last 3 years, but not a lot since January. What chance do I have to get into a part time job? I went round a school to look the other day regarding a part time job but there was an inside nqt applicant...was not inspired to go for job really with me being over threshold. Objective advice welcomed! Do you recommend doing voluntary work for people who may have had a break having children trying to get more regular experience? Thanks!

2. PS I dont do a lot of supply as I cant always get the care for my one year old as and when. And dont want to really mess him around by putting him in a nursery , he wont know if hes coming or going. I did this with my other child and he felt insecure with not knowing days I worked, etc.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually, in the past I've always started off by volunteering, got myself known in a school, bben offered some supply which led to some longer-term work, only to have to repeat the exercise all over again after the long-trem post ended and I needed to get myself known for general supply again.
    Now, though I've just offered myself to 4 schools and no-one has been willing to get back to me.
    Being mature,experienced and expensive is difficult and of course with little recent experience posts with responsiblity, which would mean we're worth the 'extra cost' are difficult to apply for.
    In my area rarely is a part-time job advertised (presumably they get offered to known candidates?).
    However, what is it they say 'Hope springs ever eternal' and if you don't try you'll never know. Set yourself a time limit and see what happens.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two issues here.
    Being on UPS - schools trying to manage a tight budget are clearly going to go for cheaper people. Daft, absolutely daft, not to consider experienced people, but there you go.
    Getting a p-t job. So many Mums want these - and I don't blame them - but schools can sometimes find it hard to cope with too many comings and goings, so prefer to keep the numbers manageable. So the p-t posts are usually created when someone is coming back from maternity, and there is often a FT in school who wants to go p-t at that moment, so the school puts her together with the mat returner, and advertises a FT post.
    So very few P-t posts available, I'm afraid. And when there are - UPS candidates are often considered too expensive.
    So that's my honest view.
    Supply is very hard for someone grappling with childcare, so I understand entirely your point of view.
    Offering to volunteer might work - if the schools are open to this - and the best place to volunteer if in a school with 5 pregnant Mums, so they advertise first for maternity cover and then a permenent post.
    But that might be hard to find . . .
    Good luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just noticed large numbers of typos in my last post.
    Apologies, folks.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com