1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... HOD to teacher of

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Iamrocknroll81, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hello!
    I've been a HOD for 3 different schools (small departments) and I'm in my 8th year of teaching based in Europe. I applied for a teacher of position in an interesting school overseas and have an interview next week. I applied cos sometimes you don't know what management roles may be available and the job has benefits I don't currently have (teaching A level, more pay). My concern now having researched, is that there is a HOF already in place and i am worried going from leading a dept to being the only teacher may look strange on my CV. I don't know how to broach the fact I would like more responsibility for my subject, am keen to work in a team but not sure I can take this step down.... Will it look odd to potential employers further down my career?

Thanks in advance

2. Hello!
    I've been a HOD for 3 different schools (small departments) and I'm in my 8th year of teaching based in Europe. I applied for a teacher of position in an interesting school overseas and have an interview next week. I applied cos sometimes you don't know what management roles may be available and the job has benefits I don't currently have (teaching A level, more pay). My concern now having researched, is that there is a HOF already in place and i am worried going from leading a dept to being the only teacher may look strange on my CV. I don't know how to broach the fact I would like more responsibility for my subject, am keen to work in a team but not sure I can take this step down.... Will it look odd to potential employers further down my career?

Thanks in advance

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, as you are going overseas, the change in position is easily justified - you wanted the different environment. So I don't think it would look strange on your cv in the future.
    The main pointr is - can you be a teacher again? Telling them that you hope for opportunities to expand your responsibilities as you are keen to contribute more to the school shouldn't be a problem, but are you sure you can take orders?!
    Best wishes

4. I did this once - i just really wanted to work in the school and hoped i could work my way up. It didn't happen though, my new hod made sure i had no way to make extra contributions to how the department was run and i ended up feeling v frustrated and under valued. So be careful!

5. Thanks, Theo.

I am reassured by the CV issue, and will certainly tell them how I feel about responsibilities. I think the best solution of me would be to be 2nd in dept, or coordinator of extra curricular - that way I still take orders and learn from the person in charge, but I'm not in similar position to an NQT.

We'll see!! Thanks for the reply :)