1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Helping a friend in need during a difficult time...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rahmara, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi Theo.

I think this post is going to be quite long so prepare yourself a cup of tea if it'll help!. Here goes...

A friend of mine is a supply teacher and is currently doing his NQT year (last term of induction). The school he is at is going through a VERY rough patch and is affecting a majority of the staff at the school including the head. He's on temporary contract and will finish in July...he thinks he might be offered a job to stay on but unfortunately he wants to move on and has made his decision on that. He's seen some jobs advertised and wants to apply for them but does not know if he should approach the head at this moment. Should he apply and put 'contact me for references' under the referees section or should he speak to the head first? Or should he leave it for now and mention it around May time?

Please reply back so that I can forward this to him.

Thank you.

P.S. How are you? :)

2. Hi Theo.

I think this post is going to be quite long so prepare yourself a cup of tea if it'll help!. Here goes...

A friend of mine is a supply teacher and is currently doing his NQT year (last term of induction). The school he is at is going through a VERY rough patch and is affecting a majority of the staff at the school including the head. He's on temporary contract and will finish in July...he thinks he might be offered a job to stay on but unfortunately he wants to move on and has made his decision on that. He's seen some jobs advertised and wants to apply for them but does not know if he should approach the head at this moment. Should he apply and put 'contact me for references' under the referees section or should he speak to the head first? Or should he leave it for now and mention it around May time?

Please reply back so that I can forward this to him.

Thank you.

P.S. How are you? :)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

He should be upfront with the Head taht he's looking elsewhere. Should say something about being gratefulfor the opportunities at the school, but feels needs to move on because. . .(some plausible reason.)
    The Head will have to write the reference and it's unlikely to be a good one if he's not upfront aboiut wanting to move on.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm fine, thank you, and hope that you are well too.
    Now the basic situation for your friend is not a problem at all. He is on a temporary contract, so it is of course expected that he will start applying for jobs for September.
    And the moment that he sees the first job advertised that he wants to apply for, then he must go and see the Head and explain that he is very grateful for all the opportunities that he has had working in this school, but he now feels that it is important to widen his experience, and is thus going to be applying for other jobs and will therefore be putting the Head as a referee. He understand that this will involve extra work for the Head in writing a reference, and is most grateful for that.
    Much much better than the Head finding out by a reference request landing on his/her desk!
    No, never do that. And some schools use old forms which say something like Tick here if you do not wish your referees to be contacted before the interview. Don't tick that either - the statutory guidance to schools now is that they should get references before interview.
    Best wishes

5. You're a genius Theo! I'll forward the message to him, he'll be grateful!

Thank you :)

P.S. Thank you Lara.