1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Help with references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MissHero, Jan 26, 2011.

1. MissHero

MissHero New commenter

Dear Theo, I completed my PGCE last year, and spent the autumn term doing day-to-day supply through one agency. This term I've started a long term supply (no length specified) placement at a school which I'm fast becoming very disappointed with - I'm being used as classroom support for 2 days a week, rather than teaching full time as I was led to believe. I also entered the job under the impression that I would be able to complete, or at least begin my NQT year. This is now unlikely to happen as I'm currently only teaching 12 hours a week.

My question is: I've found a new job which I'm keen to apply for, but am not sure who I should put as references. I still have my PGCE referees to fall back on, however I've been working since September with very good feedback from my agency, would this be a potential reference? I have considered asking the headteacher of the school I'm currently teaching in, but am not sure whether this might be seen as a bit cheeky since I've not been there long. I didn't plan to leave so quickly, but I'm not being offered what I was promised, and am very concerned about starting my NQT year and generally being able to do the job I expected!

I'd be very grateful if you could give me a few suggestions/solutions to my dilemma!

Thanks

2. MissHero

MissHero New commenter

Dear Theo, I completed my PGCE last year, and spent the autumn term doing day-to-day supply through one agency. This term I've started a long term supply (no length specified) placement at a school which I'm fast becoming very disappointed with - I'm being used as classroom support for 2 days a week, rather than teaching full time as I was led to believe. I also entered the job under the impression that I would be able to complete, or at least begin my NQT year. This is now unlikely to happen as I'm currently only teaching 12 hours a week.

My question is: I've found a new job which I'm keen to apply for, but am not sure who I should put as references. I still have my PGCE referees to fall back on, however I've been working since September with very good feedback from my agency, would this be a potential reference? I have considered asking the headteacher of the school I'm currently teaching in, but am not sure whether this might be seen as a bit cheeky since I've not been there long. I didn't plan to leave so quickly, but I'm not being offered what I was promised, and am very concerned about starting my NQT year and generally being able to do the job I expected!

I'd be very grateful if you could give me a few suggestions/solutions to my dilemma!

Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not a suggestion or a solution, but what you MUST do.
    The Govt says that you MUST give your current employer if you are teaching., This means your Head. So you must go and see her/him and explain that you need to do your induction (don't mention the other, either to the Head or in your application/interview - nobody likes somebody who is dissatisfied) and so, regrettably since you gain so much from this school, you must apply elsewhere.,
    Be sure that your application is absolutely top notch. There's free advice here in the Welcome thread, or you might consider the Advice Service. The one-to-ones are personalised, but can be a bit pricey. However the Workshop seminars are much cheaper - and any of them is an investment for your future.But try the free advice first.
    Read the Welcome thread clickables on shortlisting, and follow the advice carefully.

Lots of posters have found the Executive Summary gets results. It's free advice,
    and it works!

Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview

The benefit of an executive summary

taking Theo's Advice

Best of luck.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

The TES Careers Advice
    service runs seminars, one-to-one careers and applications advice,
    one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.

I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.

Look forward to seeing you then!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry - should have been clearer.
    Although the Agency is in theory your employer, not a good idea to put them, much better to put the Head. Firstly because agencies are not trusted as much bas Heads, and secondly because agency references are notoriously brief and not much good.

The TES Careers Advice

I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.

5. MissHero

MissHero New commenter

Thanks for the advice, I will speak to the headteacher asap and put her as my first reference - would it be better to use my PGCE tutor as the second referee?
    I think I've written a pretty strong application, it's just this that I'm concerned about, as I don't want to make my current position awkward, or jeopardise the application by using unhelpful/incorrect references!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can use:
    HoD or KS Co-ordinator where you are now
    HoD or KS Co-ordinator whereyou did a placement in your PGCE year
    PGCE Tutor
    Do make sure that your application includes a clear executive summary - it can make all the difference!
    Best wishes

The TES Careers Advice