1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo! Help with informal interview!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by marina_litvaitis, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Dear Theo!
    I'm finishing my PGCE and looking for a teaching job in KS1/2. Currently, I'm in one of London's pools and have been invited for an informal interview in school. I'm not sure how I can impress during the informal chat with the head and the school tour. What kind of questions can I ask and what kind of questions should I expect to answer. What is you general advice for this type of the interview?
    I had the informal interview before in the school from the same pool but my experience was not good. The head didn't ask the specific questions but just talked about the school and showed me around. I didn't have a chance to speak to the pupils because they were in the lessons. What kind of questions could I ask them?
    I want to use the chance perfectly of getting the job this time. Can you please help me with your advice.

2. Dear Theo!
    I'm finishing my PGCE and looking for a teaching job in KS1/2. Currently, I'm in one of London's pools and have been invited for an informal interview in school. I'm not sure how I can impress during the informal chat with the head and the school tour. What kind of questions can I ask and what kind of questions should I expect to answer. What is you general advice for this type of the interview?
    I had the informal interview before in the school from the same pool but my experience was not good. The head didn't ask the specific questions but just talked about the school and showed me around. I didn't have a chance to speak to the pupils because they were in the lessons. What kind of questions could I ask them?
    I want to use the chance perfectly of getting the job this time. Can you please help me with your advice.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is no such thing as an informal interview. Let me say that again.
    There is no such thing as an informal interview.
    Prepare for it as for a formal one - read the advice in the Interview Tips in the Welcome thread. The questions will be similar to those in a formal one, so be ready with the specific Key points about yourself that you want to get over.
    As for what you can ask - do a search on here for school visits questions. You'll see some good ideas there.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!