1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, help with application form

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hannah_butler14, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am a NQT needing some help! I have read all your advice but I'm still confused with this particular application form, I have a few questions:
    1) It has on it a section entitled 'Details about yourself to support this application', it then gives me just under a page of space to write. Is this where I would write a personal statement?
    2) At the end of the application it states, 'please attach only 1 other sheet of further information using the headings of the person specification'. Is this a slightly more detailed version of an executive summary? Or an extention of my personal statement?
    3) Would I then just need to include a short covering letter?
    Thanks for your help,
    Hannah

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not Theo, but having been reading his advice for a couple of years would say 'Details about yourself to support this application' I would say could be either your ES or personal statement, but probably choose ES there and write your personal letter on the further informationsheet, stating why you are the very best person for that job at that particular school because of X Y & Z.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've only just come back to jobseeking after a few years off, so Laura is likely to know way more than me, but to me this
    Sounds exactly like they know about and want an executive summary there. It describes exactly what an ES is.

Whereas
    is the more wiffly waffly nonsense about why you are amazing and how you will contribute to the success of their school.

So I'd write the statement on the form, ignoring much of the person spec bits. Look at other paperwork from them to choose what to write.

Then attach the ES as your further information sheet.

And yes a short, polite covering letter to go on the front.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Perfect,Minnie - I'll go back to the drilling and filling the house with sawdust.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I've decided it is much easier to advise other people on what to do than get on and do one's own applications!
    Please do apologise to Mrs Theo for me. :)

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Having re-read your post I agree with minnieminx's suggestion and her reasoning. I missed the comment 'further information <u>using the headings of the person specification</u>' when reading before.
    Best of luck with it.

7. I would like to thank you all for the advice, I had better start writing it now!
    Thanks again,
    Hannah