1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Help with an Application please?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jan 16, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nice clear questions - thank you!
    Q1 Perfect! That's all they will expect. Make sure you make it obvious that they are placements and not employment, but that's exactly what to do at this stage in your career.
    Q2 Now, not quite sure what you are getting at here. I suspect, by the way, that you haven't opened the Welcome thread and read the clickables inside. There are two on shortlisting and a FAQs that you need to read before doing your application. A personal statement IS a statement in support of application . . . which is why I wasn't sure what you meant. Read the very first FAQ, I think that this will make it clearer for you.
    Q3 You have to make your statement show why they should appoint you. What's special about you? What can you offer the school? You can google "personal statement teaching" and get some sort of idea, but you must NOT NOT NOT copy even one sentence from those examples, nor any examples that some kind person gives you, as schools are on the look-out for plagiarism.
    The lack of a personal specification is annoying - is there at least a job spec that you can base an exec summary on? If not, you will have to find on TES site here a similar job that does have one, and use that.
    Sounds to me as though you are going about this in a thoughtful manner. This bodes well for success!
    Best of luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!

2. Thank you Theo!
    With regards to my 2nd question, what I was trying to say (I think) is that the supporting statement was being used as personal statement and covering letter, and therefore this was the only thing needed to be enclosed (if you get my drift!!)
    I will make my way over to the welcome thread now and see how I can improve my application form!

Thanks again
    Ems

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Welcome clickables tell you how to improve your application overall, not just the form. Lots of tips of things to do (and not to do).
    Good luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!