1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - help, my job being re advertised.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ellie_rose, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hi Theo,

I have been teaching in a primary school for 4 months. I was employed after the school was put into special measures and it was explained that they hoped my background in drama and literacy would help bring the children's writing levels up before SATs. I am an NQT and was searching for a job for several months before this. The school is becoming an academy in September and at first I was told that my contract was temporary but only as a formality and it would be made permanent once the academy was set up. However, I've now been told that my job is going to be re advertised by law. At first I was quite worried, as I am doing a good job and I really don't want to leave now I've settled in and feel like I know what I'm doing. The head teachers haven't discussed the situation with me and nothing has been said. I've just been told my job is up and I can reapply if I want.

Obviously I want to stay and I have really made a difference in the short time I've been there. The children's literacy has improved quite rapidly and they are expected to achieve what they should in their SATs. I am going to reapply but I'm uncertain about what will happen.

Is it likely that I will go through a formal interview and observation with other candidates, even though I am currently doing the job and doing well? If so, I'm not sure what to say. I know I can do the job, as I have been doing it well for the past few months. What shall I talk about in the interview, particularly as they already know me and they know my strengths/weaknesses?

I'm quite anxious at the thought of outside candidates coming in and competing for a job I'm already in and really enjoying. Any advice would be helpful, especially about what to say in the interview in this situation.

2. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hi Theo,

I have been teaching in a primary school for 4 months. I was employed after the school was put into special measures and it was explained that they hoped my background in drama and literacy would help bring the children's writing levels up before SATs. I am an NQT and was searching for a job for several months before this. The school is becoming an academy in September and at first I was told that my contract was temporary but only as a formality and it would be made permanent once the academy was set up. However, I've now been told that my job is going to be re advertised by law. At first I was quite worried, as I am doing a good job and I really don't want to leave now I've settled in and feel like I know what I'm doing. The head teachers haven't discussed the situation with me and nothing has been said. I've just been told my job is up and I can reapply if I want.

Obviously I want to stay and I have really made a difference in the short time I've been there. The children's literacy has improved quite rapidly and they are expected to achieve what they should in their SATs. I am going to reapply but I'm uncertain about what will happen.

Is it likely that I will go through a formal interview and observation with other candidates, even though I am currently doing the job and doing well? If so, I'm not sure what to say. I know I can do the job, as I have been doing it well for the past few months. What shall I talk about in the interview, particularly as they already know me and they know my strengths/weaknesses?

I'm quite anxious at the thought of outside candidates coming in and competing for a job I'm already in and really enjoying. Any advice would be helpful, especially about what to say in the interview in this situation.

3. You should approach the interview as if they dont know you. Not everyone on panel will know everything about you never assume. The interview will be based on what you say and do and if you dont bring all your strengths to the fore they wont be taken on board

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There's no such law. Either the head doesn't know her/his stuff, or they're fibbing.
    Sounds to me like my second suggestion was correct.
    Absolutely.
    You need to have at your fingertips lots of examples of your best work and practice.

5. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

I suspected there was no law but I assumed that it's being re advertised because my contract is fixed-term temporary. As they haven't discussed it with me, are you suggesting that they want me to leave? I am a bit confused as I've had nothing but good feedback from them and I was told a few months ago that they would probably renew my contract as they're pleased with my Ofsted feed back.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, my view is that they're either mistakenly thinking they have to advertise (many primary heads appear to believe this) or - and this is also a relatively common scenario - the head and governors want a wider field, but are too cowardly to tell you this so have dreamt up the 'law' thing.
    Wanting a wider field is not necessarily indicative of a lack of confidence in you, by the way - it merely means that they want to be sure they're right about you by comparing you to other candidates.

7. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Hi middlemarch, is there never a time they legally HAVE to readvetise? I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I started at my school in January on a 2 term temp contract. I asked before Easter and my NQT mentor said it was discussed at governors and some of the governors are very hot on employment law, and because of when the job was advertised/ I was appointed (after oct half term, so only teachers not in post could apply) it HAD to be readvertised. The person I asked sounded like she thought this was ridiculous and didn't agree with this. I did wonder if this was a sly way of them trying to get rid of me (tho I have no reason to think they'd do this, I love the school, get on well with SLT (!) and my first term NQT report was v positive) so I asked if it was worth me applying to which I was told "I would encourage you to apply". Now I'm worrying I'll be wasting my time as perhaps they don't want me. I just wish they'd hurry up and advertise the damn job cos other positions Id like are starting to be advertised but I'd rather stay where I am if possible.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well yes, unless there are compelling reasons not to, they have to advertise your job if you are a Head teacher or Deputy.
    But I guess that you are probably not! [​IMG]
    No, it is not employment law.
    However, there is nothing to stop either the Local Authority or the Governors having a policy that says that they wish such posts to be advertised.
    Then you should find a job that would be second-best for you, and go and see the Head saying that you would obviously prefer to remain, but will be applying for another job as you cannot afford to let this opportunity pass.
    Which, in fact, you cannot.
    Best wishes

9. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Thanks theo. I will go see the head on mon. The post I'm particularly interested in is one where I did a few weeks supply and feel like I've got quite a good reputation and they'd hopefully interview me. I don't want to annoy them by applying, being offered an interview then pulling out cos I'd rather stay where I am...I guess I jsst have to hope my interview where I am ATM is before any others I apply for....