1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: help getting shortlisted/standing out at the interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by azizquo, May 23, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I am currently doing my PGCE year in Secondary Science. I am applying for jobs but don't seem to be doing very well. I have applied for several posts but don't seem to be getting shortlisted. What kind of information should I include in my cover letter? I am currently including why I want to be a teacher, what experience I have had e.g key stages and schemes of work covered, why I think science is an important subject and why I would be suited for that particular school. IIs there anything I am missing? What should I be emphasising?

I have had one interview and I was told that my lesson was good but I needed to sell myself more. Is it advisable to plan my answers before going to interview or does that sound rehearsed?
    I hope you can help me with some of my questions!
    Thanks

Laura

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very many posters have found that they can start a thread called Dear Theo - I got that job! by using the advice given on here in the clickables inside the welcome thread. Try it!
    Two specific things I would say: You shouldn't have "my cover letter" - the application should be aimed specifically at each school. And no, best not to learn off answers to questions - read the tips!
    Good luck.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!