1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - help complicated references / job history

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by prt204, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I need help please in working out how to fill in the employment history and references section of applications. I am an NQT but have decided to apply for TA/LSA posts.
    My situation is this:
    completed PGCE July 2010
    independent supply work - at final placement school and another school (not had any work from either for months despite them being very happy with my teaching)
    agency supply work - January 2011 to March 2011 - again excellent feedback but stopped working with them because I had a cancer scare (all clear) and my brother had a brain haemmorage (sp?) which caused me to re-evalaute my own life
    since then I have coached the netball team at a local primary school and, since last month, am working as a volunteer session worked with The Children's Society.
    So the questions are:
    What do I put for last job and reason for leaving?
    Do I put down the independent supply work?
    Who do I put for referees - I was thinking the Head at my last placement school (since I'm also down as a supply teacher for them) and the Head at the school where I was a TA prior to the PGCE or do I have to put the supply agency (who don't know me very well but did have the excellent feedback from the small amount of work I did) or The Children's Society (though they don't know me well either and it's voluntary).
    Hope you can make sense of this.
    Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to hear all well with the scare - and hope your brother is now on the mend too.
    Q1 Say left to care for brother who had brain haemorrhage
    Q2 Yes
    Q3 I would go for placement and the TA school Heads.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!