1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Headteacher vacancies/applicants

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kmhootton, May 7, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,

I know, both from personal experience and from reading the boards here, that there is a serious over supply situation for teacher and deputy positions. It seems that between 30 and 100 applicants per vacancy is the norm. We are often told however that the country is crying out for head teachers, that there are few good candidates and that the situation is going to get worse as current heads retire As someone who is half way through the NPQH I'd be really interested to know if you , or any readers, know if this is true? Am I going to find it just as hard to get a Headship as a deputy?

If so why are the 'authorities' making the same mistake they have with ITT, allowing so many to take the qualification?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, currently HT posts are reciving fewer applications than are DHT. Possibly because too many people see it as a thankless job! There are this year fewer HT posts than last, but still high % have to re advertise. The demographic timebomb is stil ticking away, with large numbers of HT due to retire over next few years. We look briefly at the jobmarket in the SLT seminars. Gooh luck with the NPQH.